Rehabbing my tub - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110
Rehabbing my tub

Previous owner put in a roll on bedliner on my exmod 110. It's flaking in some spots and hardened like cement in others. Tub went out to the blasters but he couldn't get much out without risking warping the aluminum.

Grinding, wire wheels etc just seem to melt the stuff, filling up the wheel.

Next step is some aircraft stripper but testing a small patch didn't get the results I was looking for......

I'm at the point where chequer plate bed protector is looking good.....I hate chequer plate but thist stuff is a pain in the butt.

Any ideas?

Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++
Dry ice and scrapping will likely be required. It's used by others with old factory noise barrier materials. Sometimes you can smack it a hammer after freezing to pop it loose but you'll definately risk damaging the aluminum if you do. It's a slow process. Watch for frost bite.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
I see two options:
1. Buy a new tub
2. Embrace the bed-liner and re-spray

Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:55 PM
1993 D110
I tried the dry ice on my dynamat and it did not work at all. I don't know if it is just the difference between the aluminum and steel or what. Most of what I saw online looked pretty easy. Most of my experience was frustration. Not that it would work on your bedliner, but I wound up using a citrus based solvent and lots of elbow grease. If I had to do it all over again, I simply would have replaced the entire floor as I burned about 60 hours and who knows how much on various materials and experimentation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions