registering an 86 D90 in California - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2013, 06:35 PM
l.a.rover
handy andy
73 Land Rover 88 Lightweight

Registry
registering an 86 D90 in California

help! i need help! went to the DMV in California and they had a heart attack cause my d90 didn't have an emission sticker under the hood and they refused to registrate it until i go to the CHP.

Has anybody, from CALIFORNIA, ran into this problem and what did you do?

Does anyone have any reccomendations to give so that i can get plates for my d90?

many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2013, 06:43 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Navydevildoc had a thread fairly similar to this chronicling his experience in CA I believe if you search.
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:24 PM
l.a.rover
handy andy

Registry
even though

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Register it through AAA.

-Jeff
eventhough dmv has flagged me to go to chp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2013, 09:57 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
The basic question is... Did you just get punted to vehicle verification when you walked in or did they actually get on the computer?

Feel free to PM me, I have a lot of experience in this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:10 PM
l.a.rover
handy andy

Registry
hmmmmm?

well the first thing i did was go to vin verification... and it went alright... it started to slip when i went inside.... first there was an issue was emission sticker.. then she said the computer wont accept the vin .... then she said my manager needs to imput a code and finally to you need to go to the chp... and after all this ... she charged me!

it was very confusing... it sounds like she didn't know what she was doing....

but after reading your thread... i think i am going to go to another dmv office

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
The basic question is... Did you just get punted to vehicle verification when you walked in or did they actually get on the computer?

Feel free to PM me, I have a lot of experience in this.
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:53 AM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Why not just take it to the CHP for the VIN verification. It takes 30-60 minutes assuming everything is in order and there's no charge. The potential problem you can run in to (and I've seen a lot of these recently) is you go around the required CHP inspection then get a letter in a few months (sometimes years) from the DMV saying you need to take the vehicle in to the CHP for a VIN verification or your registration will be suspended. Apparently someone in Sacramento has been going through a lot of old registration paperwork and closing a few loopholes.
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:35 PM
l.a.rover
handy andy

Registry
Thumbs up DMV Update

well after several hours of calling and waiting in the Dmv, i have progress to speak of!!

called dmv technical compliance office and told them about the situation... they recommended that i go to another field office... i did and i was able to by-pass CHP inspection...

the only issues is that the dmw system doesn't recognize the d90 vin#.... so they submitted my paper work to Sacramento and issued me a temporary permit to drive my rover on the streets of L.A.!

I just hope everything works out and the mail me my plates!!!!

keep your fingers crossed!!!

also .... thanks for all your suggestions and help!
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Wow! Arizona DMV did a VIN inspection, entered the data and gave me a title and registration on the spot. The inspector was drooling all over my truck and asking where he could get one.
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:51 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.a.rover View Post
the only issues is that the dmw system doesn't recognize the d90 vin#.... so they submitted my paper work to Sacramento and issued me a temporary permit to drive my rover on the streets of L.A.!
Bummer. I have a feeling this will not end well. Let us know what happens though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 28th, 2013, 07:03 PM
l.a.rover
handy andy

Registry
?????

Quote:
Bummer. I have a feeling this will not end well. Let us know what happens though!
tell me what can possibly happen?
Old June 28th, 2013, 07:05 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
DMV in Sacramento will realize there is no way your grey market vehicle meets CARB requirements. They deny your application. Your vehicle doesn't get registered.

Old June 28th, 2013, 08:48 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
DMV in Sacramento will realize there is no way your grey market vehicle meets CARB requirements. They deny your application. Your vehicle doesn't get registered.
What he said.
Old June 30th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Apocalypse Vehicle
Evian Degree
none yet

I had the same thing happen to me less than two years ago. I had a really clean low mileage 1985 d90 i bought from the east coast. It was LHD, had mph and KMH gauge, DOT glass ect. I went to the DMV and they sent me outside to vin check. Vin check went fine I went back in the lady looked it over told me the fees as if everything was fine. I paid her and as she hands me my registration paper work and says oh by the way you will have to go to the CHP for inspection to get your tags. I could have killed her because she just screwed me and put my car in the system. I had planned to try another DMV if it didn't work but I was screwed and never given a choice. CHP didn't work and my second and last 30 day dmv issued driving pass was gonna be up. I put the car on ebay sold and sent it back to the east coast and lost $2,000
I now have a 1961 series 88 I just finished a 200tdi swap and power steering and drive daily. If it doesn't work out maybe you can register it in another state and then try and reregister it in california and try different DMV locations and maybe you'll get lucky. Just don't let them enter it in the system unless everything has gone smooth. Don't know if that will work and if they keep records of cars that have been in their system before. This might be your only option, or ebay.

I hope not and I hope you get your california pink in the mail. California sucks and I can't wait for the day I leave this state, whenever that may be.
Old June 30th, 2013, 01:24 PM
l.a.rover
handy andy

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse Vehicle View Post

I hope not and I hope you get your california pink in the mail. California sucks and I can't wait for the day I leave this state, whenever that may be.
Evian... thanks for the good thought! the good thing was that i didn't have to goto CHP... however the dmv computer system would not recognize the trucks vin... i hope it turns out good too cause i was thinking worst case senario is that i sell the truck and take a loss
Old June 30th, 2013, 01:54 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I have no idea how to go about getting it done in Ca, but I did just buy a Ca registered '86 D-110, still have the plates in fact. Only saying it is possible, and the VIN issue is it lacks a digit of conforming to US system. I had to do a pencil tracing even here in NC, then all was fine. Nationwide insures it, and gave me temp coverage until DMV issued the title, which I got without issue. Again, I realize you are in Ca, but I can tell you it gets done there. Good luck!!

Old June 30th, 2013, 02:29 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
I am proof it can get registered. I don't know if you read through my whole Registration Saga thread, but the DMV supervisors had the ability to override the VIN issue right in the field office.

Old June 30th, 2013, 03:07 PM
l.a.rover
handy andy

Registry
overide!

Quote:
I am proof it can get registered. I don't know if you read through my whole Registration Saga thread, but the DMV supervisors had the ability to override the VIN issue right in the field office.
neil .... you are absolutely right about the override... seen it done in front of me... the lady who was assiting me called over the supervisor for the password but it didn;t take... i was thinking the problem could be that my d90 is a RHD

also another issue was the year of the vehicle... title says 86 but according to ca. dmv and the tenth digit on the vin... they said it was a 1980...

i guess all i can do is sit and wait!
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:12 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Did you read my thread? All of this was covered.

Old June 30th, 2013, 03:17 PM
l.a.rover
handy andy

Registry
yes!

neil.... yes did i read your thread... it read more like a chapter book than a thread!
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Cool.... well I really do hope it works out for you in the end!

How long was your temp permit good for?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
d90