Refresh me on the issues with 35's - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 10th, 2006, 07:29 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Refresh me on the issues with 35's

I have some issues with my present tire setup. I am thinking a taller tire would look better.
Thinking 35's or maybe 34's.
My present setup: 751/764 with rubber isolaters, 33x12.5 -16 on steel wheels
Thinking: alloys with spacers, 34x10.5 -16 or a 35" tire, the 35x10.5 may be too thin...haven't seen it yet

I recall pinion angle and gears being the big issues. Also heavy duty axles if lockers.
What else would I be dealing with? (point me to a post if this is a huge rehash...couldn't find one)
Are there issues that can't be easily fixed with upgrade parts?

Thanks
Trying to avoid opening pandora's box if its problematic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2006, 07:55 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Form over function......

So the problem with your present "set-up" is that it doesn't look good?

If looks are all you need throw the 35's on there and start blocking it up util the tyres stop rubbing.

If you need to function correctly;

3" springs (RTE)

At least 4:10 gears (GBR or Ashcroft)

HD rear axles (Rovertracks)

HD front axles and CV's (Rovertracks)

Corrected radius and trailing arms (RTE)

and a little trimming of the eyebrows.

All that and it won't go much better than the 33's and no where near as well a good teenage driver in a stock rangie (threw that in for Mike Pettengill Jr the Defender slayer)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:05 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Correct (alot of what I don't like is the looks)

I guess I am the first person on d-90 to give a shit about how his truck looks.
The tires and rims I have now look to jeepy. They stick out about 4 inches wider than the eyebrows and look squatty. I suppose I can get over the mud spatter all over the sides/interior of the truck from the excessive backspacing. I need to go test but it looks like I will have rubbing on the eyebrows with the present backspacing. Plus, I am tired of the steel wheel look.
That being said, If I am going to get new tires for the alloys...I want to know my options for going larger as what I have doesn't look quite right.
I have been waiting on gears/axles etc until I decide where I am going with the truck. (what size tires/ARB or truetrac)

Wasn't that the BWO 110 with something like 37's at the MAR? I guess you should have stuck with 33's is what it sounds like??

Thanks for the info, that's what I needed
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
315/75/16
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:41 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

They may be the perfect size
I hadn't seen those yet
Thanks
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by btate
Correct (alot of what I don't like is the looks)

I guess I am the first person on d-90 to give a shit about how his truck looks.
The tires and rims I have now look to jeepy. They stick out about 4 inches wider than the eyebrows and look squatty. I suppose I can get over the mud spatter all over the sides/interior of the truck from the excessive backspacing. I need to go test but it looks like I will have rubbing on the eyebrows with the present backspacing. Plus, I am tired of the steel wheel look.
That being said, If I am going to get new tires for the alloys...I want to know my options for going larger as what I have doesn't look quite right.
I have been waiting on gears/axles etc until I decide where I am going with the truck. (what size tires/ARB or truetrac)

Wasn't that the BWO 110 with something like 37's at the MAR? I guess you should have stuck with 33's is what it sounds like??

Thanks for the info, that's what I needed
Bryan
Hey,

Everybody here cares about looks. Your not the first! You can keep the setup that you have now and run 35s no problem. You will have to trim a bit but I was running 37's with 2in of lift for a while with the flares. If you get just the right offset then you will have very minor trimming. Also, where you are located, I am willing to bet that you don't get the dry-rock axle eating rocks that we do out here. More mud? Your axles should survive just fine if they are open and you are careful. It is up to you if you like the looks, but you can do it.

That being said, if you get into hard terrain often, you will need to do something about the axles. Hope that helps.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
David, what backspacing/offset is ideal then as far as clearance and trimming goes? The same as stock or different? I will be switching to steel rims and want to make sure I get it right.

thanks
charles
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
David, what backspacing/offset is ideal then as far as clearance and trimming goes? The same as stock or different? I will be switching to steel rims and want to make sure I get it right.

thanks
charles
Hey,

I am not sure to be honest. Randy can probably tell you. I think at 35 12.50 you want 15x8 with 4in backspacing. I think that is ideal. I think on a 35 10.50 you could get away with 5in backspacing. I am not sure anymore. I know for a fact, though, that at 37 12.50 you want 3in backspacing and at 39.5 13.50 you want 2in backspacing max!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:57 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Honestly I care about looks also. Didn't meen to sound so harsh but in the re-read I'll admit to doing so. Problem for me is I continually get guys wanting to run big ass tyres for the look without doing the work to make it all function...and then wonder why some kid drives circles around him in a relatively stock truck with some good suspension.

I do run 35's on one of my rigs, but I've also spent many, many hours making the suspension be the best it can be.

4" backspacing is good for a 35"x12.50" with very slight rubbing (just touches) the spring perches with some tyres.

The BWO 110 on 37's is not of my doing, and has since been reduced to 35's. A perfect example of how looks can be detrimental to the overall function.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old September 11th, 2006, 09:28 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Yeah I don't think you have to worry about Tate being cheap here. I know him pretty well and he will get it done right, he just wants some direction so he doesn't have to do it two more times, and besides I told him not to go with his current setup
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Man I wish I could put bigger tires on mine. Not very practical given that I barely fit in most garages in the city on stock tires.

Tate, might be a very good time to think about the driveline as well. HD Shafts and lockers. I went that route first.

Tires that large might be a good candidate for Toy Lockers. Buddy in the club installed them after getting the template from RT. He hasn't hada any issues and I think his disco is on 37's...

EwS
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:56 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Thanks all,
It did sound like "35's look cool, how do I slap them on"
I hope I didn't hurt Jesses' feelings....ha (I had the yellow 110 at MAR and had you guys make the custom rear sill plates, thanks again for those)

I am trying to think thru the next setup so it can be done all at once if possible. Not having any trucks with larger than 265's in my area makes it hard to scope out what will look/function best.

35's may be overkill for how I use the truck, I do want some type of lockers also.
I want to know what I am dealing with before throwing more parts at it.
I hadn't even thought about the garage...it will be tight with lift and tires
I think this info is just what I needed to make my shopping list
Thanks all
Bryan (Buck, I am in Wilmington, NC at the beach....no rocks here but occasionally drive toward mountain were it is a rocky)
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

For what its worth

Jesse Ware the owner of Maine 110/the BWO 110 that used to have 37's on it and is currently running 35's said he would have dropped back to 33's but he had trimmed the wheel wells so 35 is about as small as he can go and still have it "look" right. I had that conversation with him last week. Shoot him a phone call if you want to talk to someone about this he's pretty much closed BWO down and is building custom homes in Kittery Maine.
Click on the specials section of the site and there is a link with his phone number. I asked and he's not going to make it to the MAR this year.
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:25 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I hate that he is closed. I picked up my synthetic winch line from him a few months back....I hate that he can't make it to MAR. Maybe I can get some hands on opinions about my lift etc. at MAR
Hope to see you all there
Bryan
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:09 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

BWO may be out of business, but the B is still going strong. No retail though. I'll see y'all down at MAR.

Still have the Blue RRC but it is no longer plastered with all the BWO stuff.

Bryan...glad the sill protectors worked out ok.....seems like years ago that I made them.

Old September 12th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

It will take more than that to hurt my feelings...

Seriously I think the big tire thing is way over rated for 90% + of the wheeling. For what you cant make it through with 33's you use the winch, that is what it there for. Yes I care about how my truck looks as well as how it functions, the 37's were fun, but not that great on the road. The 35's are great on and off road, as Doug said I would probably be on 34's if it were not for the fact that my rear wheel arches and fenders are opened up to accomodate 37's.

Tate as for your setup, I would heed Matt's advice on the RTE 3" springs etc. They work better than the OME stuff. Yes you can run it with the springs you have but it will work a whole lot better setup properly as outlined in Matt's response.

And yes BWO is closed, I still sell a bit of stuff to folks I know but I am no longer running a website or stocking anything. I found ebay is easier to deal with for the amount of web business I am doing. Matt has continued on with Overland Engineering, as is a good choice for you custome fab needs and custom truck mods.

As to MAR, I would like to go and will miss being there, I will go next year. I am still getting back up to speed with my new business and taking a week off and @ 6-700 in fuel and booze is not in the cards this year.

Jesse

Recovering NAS 110 Owner.

There is a thin line beyond which you really can't fake...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions