Reduction gear and locker - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

Reduction gear and locker

Hi, i have some noob question. Today i took my darling out and tried everything possible and impossible with it and even came to few situations where diff-lock was really needed (icy hill with mud underneath). I was living in assumption that the second gearbox lever have H setting, left, is low high closed diff and right is low high open diff, but i am not able to shift to the left high position only to left low. That would be understandable (you can more use difflock when at the same time using low range, right?) but, the trick is, that it drives as fast as high range. Is it normal? Does my car miss low range with diff locked? First gear is now really slow, so i am not sure i would ever need it, but sure am curious to know about my darling as much as i can! I dont have handbook to the car and cannot find some free PDF on the web :-(. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Normal Operation:

Left Side: Locked
Right Side: Unlocked

Forward: Low range
Rearward: High range

Center Left: Locked and neutral
Center Right: Unlocked and neutral (towing)

When locked there should be a "diff lock light" that lights up on your dash. If it does not it could mean: (1) your aren't locking, (2) light is burned out, or (3) the diff lock light switch isn't working.

To Operate:

Going from H to L you should be stopped with the tranny in Neutral. You should depress the clutch and push the lever forward and then release the clutch. Now go ahead a put your truck in gear. You should notice the gear reduction.

Going from L to H you can be "rolling in gear" although slowly, ie <5mph. You "double clutch", ie depress clutch and put transfer case into neutral, release the clutch for a few seconds, push clutch again and pull the lever rearwards to engage H. Now release clutch again and put it in gear.

Going from locked to unlocked can be done "rolling" and I believe at speed. Just pull the lever to the left and you are locked. If when unlocking the light does not go off it may mean your transmission is "wound up". Stop and go go backwards a few feet to "unwind" it and it should be fine.

Remember that locking your transfer case should only be done when there will be "slip", ie snow, mud, gravel, as it WILL affect handling and could cause you to lose control of your vehicle at worse or ruin your transfer case at best.
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:30 AM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

thanks. i have to try it again. for some reason i was not able to shift left forward (low range locked). maybe it is just tough, as other gears shift smooth. the light works, i see it come up in the left low. for what is the locked and neutral?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2010, 09:57 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

It IS possible your "linkage" is damaged.

There is a linkage you should be able to access from underneath the truck. I believe it is made of stamped metal and if forced (by previous owner), it can be bent causing it to not engage LOW.

If you disconnect the linkage you can "manually" engage low with a pair of vise grips or pliers.
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Here Sandy this may help. May not be correct year but should be close enough. There are lots of sites out there if you need more info.

http://defender-manuals.s3.amazonaws...ers_Manual.pdf

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

the problem is that i dont have feel for the vehicle yet. i dont know what is too tough and what is yet normal. you see, when i drove with other landy driver, he was abusing the car so much and it never complained, i drove my audi to pavement at about 0.001 Mph and damaged steering links. get to learn the stronger vehicle though, but dont want to damage something in the process... will try it probably on evening :-), can use some ice cream anyway

------ Follow up post added February 7th, 2010 04:09 PM ------

thanks for the manual! have been looking for it, yea, is older but luckily they dont change too much

Old February 7th, 2010, 10:16 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1987 View Post
get to learn the stronger vehicle though, but dont want to damage something in the process... will try it probably on evening :-), can use some ice cream anyway
Pretty soon you will be buying some tools...haha. That's what we all do here. Drive it until it breaks, then try to fix it ourselves. That's the nature of Land Rover ownership I think. It is for me. Atleast you use it like it was meant to be used. Some people just keep it in the garage.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:25 AM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

from the manual i just found that i did it all wrong. i was always going from neutral position to the locked position, didnt know that you can just move it to the left from selected high or low range gear. will have to try that. and no, i dont think i will be repairing it really :-), maybe i will have to

Old February 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Sandy if that's you in those pictures I will be more than happy to fly to Germany and personally show you how to move the stick to get it to work!!!

Great pictures by the way.....you're a great photographer.
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
Great pictures by the way.....you're a great photographer.
I think she said she is just a muse. Some muse huh?

Old February 7th, 2010, 11:03 AM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

thanks John, although i am photographer the site and calender belongs to friends i am just musing for. The avatar photo is however mine selfportrait :-). ok this will be probably marked as dumbest post ever, but here it goes. So i actually went for ice cream and tried it. guess what. I was whole the time shifting the locker over neutral. It dont work that easily. you can go from neutral locked to high range locked, but to low range locked it is very tough so i didnt pushed it. so i tried to just move the handle to the left from either unlocked hi or low range, and it falls in like a butter, even with some little speed. got stuck in ditch and got out that way now without problem. love landy, they are so precise and rough at the same time. LOVE THIS SITE AND now also got full size Manual thanks Forrest! wow

------ Follow up post added February 7th, 2010 05:13 PM ------

truth also is that i will unlikely ever need low range, it is so slow that even on rock crawling event they would horn me out to hurry and insult me as slow female driver parking on the rocks or something. it is about half meter or less a second on idle rpms.

Old February 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would think that from non use of the diff lock, the linkage is a bit frozen from lack of use. I would get up there with some WD-40 or other lube and let it soak for a bit.. Let me know if that helps.. You stated that you can not get the lever to go to the left... Is this correct?

Ok. I jsut read your above post. I guess you got the diff lock to work... Nice..
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

yep, it was not going up from locked diff. but one shouldnt do it anyway. it is said so in the manual...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions