Redo heads or not? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2004, 06:27 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Redo heads or not?

I asked this ealier in another thread but got no response. I have the dreaded head gasket leak. I need to add coolant every couple of months but rarely does my temp gauge move above the midway mark. My mechanic recommended getting the heads done when he fixed the leak. But is this really neccessary? My truck only has 60k on the engine and it runs great. Why the push to do the heads so early? I'd rather put the $$$ into a new clutch.

Thanks - Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Just wondering, how did he fix the leak without replacing the head gasket?
I would ask him.
I have never heard of heads going bad at 60k miles without a severe overheating that would warp them... in that case they might need to be milled.
Can you tell where it is leaking from?
Change your oil and make sure there is no "white/grey" in it which would indicate coolant.
If you have coolant in your oil, that is very bad... get the heads done asap.
Try to find out where it is leaking from... it could just be your radiator, thermostat housing, water pump, or a hose... if it is a slow leak, it could be many things.
Good luck.
Hope this helps.
Old October 19th, 2004, 06:55 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

The head gasket has not been fixed yet. After I bought it, my mechanic did an inspection and found a small coolant leak on the back end of the head right at the gasket (end facing the bulkhead). I also noticed a little bit of coolant on the undercarriage beneath the leak from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Well then, that problem won't heal itself.
Don't take my advice, but, I wouldn't touch it unless it was dripping on something that could be damaged, ie starter, but is it on the driver side? Some people redo a head gasket with a slight leak, I would have it done on a bmw s54 engine, but not on a rover 3.9. If the head comes off and you discover it is warped and needs to be milled, that is some $$$. Aluminum heads are tricky, I would wait to see what more seasoned rover people would do... I only owned 1 rover ever, and the only work I ever did was switch the tin over from my 3.9 to a 4.6. I have never done a head gaskets on anything but a chevy 350ci.
Has anyone here had the same problem and let it go?
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Michael,
With only 60k you probably do not need to do a complete valve job, however, I would have the heads checked for warpage and skimmed if necessary to insure a good seal. This is minimal $$$.
Rob
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Also, if you're going to take the heads off. Definitely switch to the newer composite head gaskets, and look up the revised torque specs, this will prevent that coolant leak from recurring.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:44 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Michael I just took my heads off the 110 to R&R machine shop they charged me just under $200 to do everything including pressure test them. Was that you I waved to sunday by mayfair. I was in my green disco? I definitely second the composite gaskets I put them on. My project should be back this week.

Follow-up Post:

Oh yeah who is your mechanic locally?
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:49 AM
WBDISCO
Brad Bradford

I have seen a vehicle that had the heads done at 14k under factory warranty if that makes you feel any better.

Brad
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I just had my head gaskets changed at 149,000 miles. I had a stain where some coolant was leaking in the same place you describe for the last 60,000 miles. It wasn't until recently that the temp guage would creep up at idle. Once the temp guage started moving every time I stopped at a light I knew it was time.
Old October 20th, 2004, 03:21 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Yep doc, that was me. Who did your heads. Joe at Cape Fear Import said he could send them out for $400.
Old October 20th, 2004, 03:44 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

R&R Machine shop did the machining work. I have a guy by the name of Scott that does most of the rest of my work that I don't do myself.
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:02 AM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Where'sR&R and who is scott? Joe at Cape Fear Imports (Ogden) was head mech at LRCF and started his own garage. He really knows his stuff and is affordable.
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:16 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Believe me I know Joe. Between you and me my nickname for him is "negative Nancy" I agree he is affordable and does know what he is doing. I just get tired of his comments on the older trucks where he makes his money. Scott is just a local guy kind of a shade tree mechanic. R&R is down on New bern st.
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:12 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Aaron - how would I get in contact w/scott?
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:42 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

262-4970 is his cell number.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions