Redline Water Wetter - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Re-Fendered 90
Originally Posted by ajh
If it is not the fan clutch then either blockage or poor pressure would be things to check. If the rad has corroded inside then it may not flow like it should, and if the water pump is dying same result. Now, I would love to hear a good empirical way to measure the flow rate through the rad/block if anyone has a good idea.

Have you tried doing a full system hot-water flush for 10-15 minutes including draining the block with the plugs on each side? If you have been running Dexcool there is a change that sludge formation has reduced the flow rate.
Thanks. No I havn't tried that. But, My new theory is that the power steering cooler in front of the radiator is causeing this. The cooler can get extremely hot on the full hydro system. I may move that and test it. That said, how bd is occasionally running at 210 anyway? I haven't got it to go hotter than that. I have got the egt's to 1300 and that was no fun. Started to cook.

2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI
You could look at using a liquid cooler for the PS, that gives a lot more flexibility in mounting location as well, never any problem with more capacity either if you can find somewhere to mount a hydraulic oil sump. I have always been a bit weary of the location of most stock oil coolers, they always seem to be somewhere likely to take a rock or stump.

-- - Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly - Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts! - Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions