Red Line Gear Oil... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
Thanks Scott. I didn't think so, which is why I asked. I was going to buy the 75W90 but what stopped me was this quote from their site: "This product is not designed for use in most manual transmissions or tranaxles, since the extreme slipperiness may cause synchronizer mesh issues that lead to shifting problems"

That just means, don't use it for the gearbox, right?

What is the difference between the 75W90 and the 75W90NS?

And was there any difference for you using the 75W140 or the shockproof kind?

Correct, it means that it is not meant for either manual transmissions, or transaxles that contain both the transmission and differential in the same case/ oil bath.

75W90NS lacks the friction modifiers used in the regular 75W90 product. You could use either in the differentials and transfercase. It is pretty much interchangable with the regular product in this case. The NS was designed for clutch style limited slip differentials, and manual transmissions that require 75W90 gearoil, because the standard product is 'too slick' for the limited slip clutches and gearbox syncronizers to work effectively. My Subaru Outback, for example, would use 75W90NS in the front transaxle, but could use either the regular 75W90 or the 75W90NS int he rear diff.

I used the 75W190 to help provide a little more protection under the extremes of off-road use, and hoping that it would help protect the T-Case input gear/spline wear issue a little better. Switching to the shockproof for the same reason, just taking it to the next step. Not likely necessary, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist
GL4 is fine for transfer case, diffs, swivel housings and hubs, provided it's formulated for them, which the MTL is not.
The older GL5 formulations would in fact attack brass/bronze components but I've read, but not confirmed, that the newer formulations of GL5 don't do that. I used 75w140 GL4 for years, until I couldn't get it anymore.
GL4 will probably be fine when designed for differentials, but I thought that the owners manual specified GL-5 Gear Oil, I'll have to take another look I guess. Either way, the GL-5 spec just offers some additional protection from the EP additives, but these are also what had caused issues with soft metals in the past. I've heard that this is a thing of the past as well, but can't confirm that..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2009, 03:54 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

every time this thread gets going I just get more confused! so many choices of the same sh**!
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
every time this thread gets going I just get more confused! so many choices of the same sh**!
Follow the owners manual for the transfer case and diffs (use the same in the swivels and hubs if you want) and ignore the owners manual for the R380 and use the Redline MTL.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2009, 08:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
MTL I just ordered 3 quarts.
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Sorry to bring up an old thread - How about Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid and/or Amsoil Synchromesh fluid (used to work great in my AX-15 then NV3550 in my Jeep) for the R380?

Also, 80W90 in the diffs and swivel housings?
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

LR grease in the swivels. 75w 90 or 80w 90 in the diffs and LT230.
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:27 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
LR grease in the swivels. 75w 90 or 80w 90 in the diffs and LT230.
Danke,
I replaced what was definitely gear oil in the swivel housings (I had done it before I saw your reply), and used the same 80W90 in the front diff. I ran out of fluid to do the rear diff, due to it taking about a third more than it called for (easily 2-2.5 quarts/liters). On that note, the engine after filling the oil filter definitely took a full 8 quarts until it was (still) very slightly below the "Full" line on its oil change. I guess having 185K yields a bit of slack in the seals and gaps... 2 days after doing it, and a good bit of driving around, no leaks at all though.

No worries, I'll pick up the right grease and change the swivel housings to that when I do the rear diff, trans/Tcase in a few weekends.

Grease makes much more sense for something like the SH's anyway.

Anybody have an opinion on Pennzoil Synchromesh in the R380?
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:32 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

The Land Rover for ROW trucks that said to switch from ATF in the R380 said to use MTF. If the Pennzoil meets the same specs as the Redline, I'm sure it would work.

If your seals and swivel balls are good then there's nothing wrong with using 85W90 or 85W140 in the swivel housings. Lot's of people do (as well as in the hubs) and that's what your truck was filled with at the factory.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:44 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Sy...ns%20Fluid.pdf

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7

it looks like there's a good amount of overlap between the 2
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can run oil in the swivels like Tom says, but if you are doing a swap it kindof makes sense to go to LR grease.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions