RED HOT exhaust - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:25 PM
DocB
Status: Offline
David
1989 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
Find a used one. Send it out for rebuild. Swap. Sell your old one.
That's the plan, but I'd like to swap up for a better one, and sell the old. The SU carb kits are ungodly expensive, so I'm trying to find an adapter to put on a Holley or different Weber, or something along those lines. If I'm buying new parts, they might as well be upgrades
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #42  
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,252
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
Find a used one. Send it out for rebuild. Swap. Sell your old one.
A used one? Where in the world is he going to find a used carb for a 2.5P Land Rover engine?

Just rebuild it yourself. Carbs are nothing to be scared of. All clearly shown in the manual.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,252
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
That's the plan, but I'd like to swap up for a better one, and sell the old. The SU carb kits are ungodly expensive, so I'm trying to find an adapter to put on a Holley or different Weber, or something along those lines. If I'm buying new parts, they might as well be upgrades
I really doubt anything you could put on there would be "better". What is there is a could selection for a carb.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #44  
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:43 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
235 85 R16 is about optimal for that truck. You won't be able to push much more.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:51 PM
DocB
Status: Offline
David
1989 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
235 85 R16 is about optimal for that truck. You won't be able to push much more.
Are you familiar with it's gearing though?

I'm not really familiar with anything on these cars, this has been a huge learning experience for me. But I've been reading that the 235/85r16 is the recommended/stock tire for new defenders and regular 110/90s with the 1.4:1 gearing. This one is an ex-mil so it's t-case is geared with the 1.6:1 gear-set. The Discovery has the 1.2:1 and is made for small tires, so following that logic, the 255/85 should be perfect for my truck, right?

I can easily push 75-80mph on the highway, even if I lose 15mph on the top end I'll still keep up on the highway lol
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,252
Registry
If you can do 80 mph now then 255/85 will be no problem.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:18 PM
DocB
Status: Offline
David
1989 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If you can do 80 mph now then 255/85 will be no problem.
That was my thought. I don't know what the sweet spot for gas mileage is, but my thought was to bring down the cruising RPM as much as I can. I wouldn't doubt that the 4000rpm cruising is what blew my head gasket. If my math is correct, 65mph on the new tires should bring my rpm down to just over 3000, I just hope that the 2.5petrol will turn the wheels lol
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
you will not be happy with the 255 and a 4 cylinder petrol. The 1.6 gearing is standard on all 4 cylinder petrol 110's. 90's had the 1.4 gears. The stock size is 235 and that will be the best compromise for low down acceleration and higher top end. The smaller tires you are running may enable you to push 80mph (indicated) but your rpms at that speed will result in reduced lifespan for the engine. With the 255s you will constantly be in 4th gear and will probably have to slip the clutch too much to get moving on steep hills.

The 32/34 DTML is the best carb LR ever fitted to the 4 cylinder gas engines and allow quite a bit more power than the old single barrel setups. Your loose main jet probably contributed to much of your problems, I had the same problem with my 4 cylinder and it ran like total shit. Tightened the jet and all was well. No surprise there.

Suggest you get the truck in stock configuration and learn to live with it that way for a while. Don't start modding it until you understand how a LR is supposed to drive and feel. Total rookie mistake.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,252
Registry
Just to clarify... Is it 80 mph actual (GPS verified) or indicated? If it is real, your engine is doing really well. That is a lot of speed for what is an 83 hp engine and that is at an engine speed higher than stock peak power.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:56 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
you will not be happy with the 255 and a 4 cylinder petrol. The 1.6 gearing is standard on all 4 cylinder petrol 110's. 90's had the 1.4 gears. The stock size is 235 and that will be the best compromise for low down acceleration and higher top end. The smaller tires you are running may enable you to push 80mph (indicated) but your rpms at that speed will result in reduced lifespan for the engine. With the 255s you will constantly be in 4th gear and will probably have to slip the clutch too much to get moving on steep hills.

The 32/34 DTML is the best carb LR ever fitted to the 4 cylinder gas engines and allow quite a bit more power than the old single barrel setups. Your loose main jet probably contributed to much of your problems, I had the same problem with my 4 cylinder and it ran like total shit. Tightened the jet and all was well. No surprise there.

Suggest you get the truck in stock configuration and learn to live with it that way for a while. Don't start modding it until you understand how a LR is supposed to drive and feel. Total rookie mistake.
Old series guys stick together and think alike. I could not have said it better.

------ Follow up post added February 19th, 2016 03:59 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Are you familiar with it's gearing though?

I'm not really familiar with anything on these cars, this has been a huge learning experience for me. But I've been reading that the 235/85r16 is the recommended/stock tire for new defenders and regular 110/90s with the 1.4:1 gearing. This one is an ex-mil so it's t-case is geared with the 1.6:1 gear-set. The Discovery has the 1.2:1 and is made for small tires, so following that logic, the 255/85 should be perfect for my truck, right?

I can easily push 75-80mph on the highway, even if I lose 15mph on the top end I'll still keep up on the highway lol
Yes. I am. I have driven series with 235 85 R16 or 7.50 R16 and also with 33x9.50 (which is basically the same size as a 255 85 R16) and the former drive better. Also, a 255 85 R16 is too big IMHO for stock 5.5in wide wheels. Maybe you have 6.5in wide wheels because you are ex-MOD, but another thing to consider.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old February 19th, 2016, 04:21 PM
DocB
Status: Offline
David
1989 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 228
Quote:
Yes. I am. I have driven series with 235 85 R16 or 7.50 R16 and also with 33x9.50 (which is basically the same size as a 255 85 R16) and the former drive better. Also, a 255 85 R16 is too big IMHO for stock 5.5in wide wheels. Maybe you have 6.5in wide wheels because you are ex-MOD, but another thing to consider.
Thanks, I appreciate experience over speculation. I'd love to try 33x9.5s lol

Yes I have bigger wheels, 16x7 Italian military steels. My whole car has been full of little Italian-Mil only surprises. Apparently they even had their own motor for the police called a 2000 Benzina, a 2.0L 4cly just made for them.

One of the main reasons for wanting to go with the 255/85 also is due to a poll on the forum where that size tire was rated significantly higher than the others, with 235/85 in second place. I figured that the most voted tire would be the one to go with...

------ Follow up post added February 19th, 2016 01:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Just to clarify... Is it 80 mph actual (GPS verified) or indicated? If it is real, your engine is doing really well. That is a lot of speed for what is an 83 hp engine and that is at an engine speed higher than stock peak power.
Yup, I use GPS for my speedo every day. My KPH gauge with miniscule tires is waaay off. Here's a screenshot from this morning, smooth cruising at 65mph (albeit at like 4ooorpm lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	142793  
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old February 19th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Contractor's Avatar
Contractor
Status: Offline
Will
1969 IIA
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The South
Posts: 560
I ran 255/85 on my old SIII with a 2.25 and it was fine. I agree with the rim width advice, but the tire size was fine. I have two other IIA's and one has a 7.5R16 on it and the other has 31x10.5's on it. The only reason I went with the 31 was because of rim width.


Anyway, I'd throw 255/85's on another truck in a heartbeat.





Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
DocB
Status: Offline
David
1989 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
I ran 255/85 on my old SIII with a 2.25 and it was fine. I agree with the rim width advice, but the tire size was fine. I have two other IIA's and one has a 7.5R16 on it and the other has 31x10.5's on it. The only reason I went with the 31 was because of rim width.


Anyway, I'd throw 255/85's on another truck in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the input! Just like everything on here, people have really polar opinions lol. Some swear by one thing, and others think you're crazy. I think it's going to come down to a matter of price an inventory at the local tire shop. I'll probably just leave it up to an impulse buy ;-)

as for the truck, if anyone is still interested. After I pulled the carb apart and soaked the jets in petrol for a few hours, I'm getting just over 20k per gallon. Just filled her up today and I'll see how long this tank lasts, but it's already looking like at least double my gas mileage!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:10 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Sounds like you are getting it sorted out. Since you have 7in wide rims, no reason to not go with 255 85 R16 other than it being a bit slower. I would still run 32in tires, 265 75 R16 because you have 7in wide rims.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:51 PM
DocB
Status: Offline
David
1989 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Sounds like you are getting it sorted out. Since you have 7in wide rims, no reason to not go with 255 85 R16 other than it being a bit slower. I would still run 32in tires, 265 75 R16 because you have 7in wide rims.
I did some measurements and I'm a little worried about going much wider than 10". I wish I could find economical 33x9.5r16, that would be perfect IMHO.

If going for the 31.5"ish tires, why not 235/85r16? Pretty much same height as the 265/75r16, just skinnier.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 04:26 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
I did some measurements and I'm a little worried about going much wider than 10". I wish I could find economical 33x9.5r16, that would be perfect IMHO.

If going for the 31.5"ish tires, why not 235/85r16? Pretty much same height as the 265/75r16, just skinnier.
No particular reason, just that 265 75 R16 looks better on 7in wheel IMHO than a 235 85 R16, but both are fine. As I said above I would probably run 235 85 R16 on 6.5in wheels because I like stock stuff.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red SW with red wheels bjf Misc. Chit-Chat 12 April 10th, 2008 12:55 AM
A/C Help......hot, hot, hot! boulderbear Defender Technical Discussions 7 August 26th, 2006 07:54 PM
Can you fab a diesel exhaust like a V8 exhaust? solihul Defender Technical Discussions 8 September 7th, 2005 04:09 PM
Superlift ORV Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas Nov. 20-23 Joe B Trips, Trails and Events 5 November 12th, 2003 10:07 AM
Hot/Cold - Blue/Red Heater control cover SFD90 Defender Technical Discussions 5 October 21st, 2003 06:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Copyright