Recovery Gear Kit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Recovery Gear Kit

I've gotten 2 small trips off-road w/ my 90 so far since I got her in January and enjoyed both a lot and look forward to doing some more.

The truck came with a winch and I've been piecing together parts for a 2" lift and some 255/85-16 BFG MT's. Also have some used sliders on the way (thanks D90 classifieds).

My concern was what happens when I do get stuck. Going thru EE's site I came up w/ a list last night:

- Superwinch Receiver Shackle Bracket. (I already have and ARB shackle up front on the ARB bar)
- Bill Burke - 4-Wheeling America Getting UNStuck (might be lame I know, but I've heard really goods thing about his class but don't have the time to go anytime soon)
- Expeditionware Recovery Strap
- Expeditionware Tree Strap
- Expeditionware Black Hi-Lift Jack Isolator
- Hi-Lift 60" X-Treme Jack
- Hi-Lift Jack Off-Road Base
- Hi-Lift Jack Handle-All (The 4 piece shovel, axe, pick, sledge - I like it as it's small, compact, and strong)
- Bucket Boss Pro GateMouth Utility Bag - to keep everything together in 1 spot

I wanted to see what you seasoned pro's thought of the list. I would like to keep it @ $500. From my limited knowledge it seems like a good bang for the buck and can add to it as I get more into wheeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Get one of those adapters that goes on the hi-lift that has a pin to fit into the bumper holes on the D-90. Leather gloves. I also carry a long length of rope to stabilize the truck if it's teetering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Jonathan - Thanks for the help. The rope and gloves I already have in the garage so that'll be easier on the wallet. I'll add the hi-lift adapter, IIRC they are around $50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

The best thing to bring along is a buddy with another truck. Oh, and water. And a camera. In fact, if you have a buddy, I have a truck for sale
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Multiple tree straps, and add "snatch blocks" to your list. I have two arb brand and use them often. Often winching can't be done straight line and tree straps and snatch blocks are required.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 10th, 2008, 12:12 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I love EE stuff too, but you could really cut down the price of your list with a little inginuity. The Hi-Lift base can be built with some scrap 3/4" plywould layered up with some glue and screws. Tractor Supply Company sells straps and shackles too. Cheap. I'm a greenhorn, but I haven't really seen any advantage of a 60" Hi-Lift. I think 48" can satisy most.
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:10 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Stopped carrying my Hi-Lift. i use the LR bottle jack more than I used the Hi-Lift.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old July 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
The high lift can be a winch but make sure you practice using the high lift as a winch before you get to the trail! A couple short lengths of 2" tubular climbing webbing are good to have to allow you to lift up a single wheel in the trail.. (Unless youget the specific high-lift wheel adaptor..)

also look into the "more power puller"..

you might want to pack a few lengths of cable w/loops or chain to use when winching w/the high lift because you get about 3 feet of jacking and then have to reset the whole thing, the stretchiness of the nylon straps makes the trucks actual movement a bit less.. nonstretching chain gives more movement for your effort..

make sense? (no coffee yet)

~Steve
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I hardly ever use the hi-lift jack... I think the most use it's gotten has been to get freelanders unstuck. I'd save your money on the hi-lift stuff... get a good tree strap and recovery strap, and also perhaps a snatch block, that's come in use a bunch...
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy a used winch and a cheap winch plate. Winching with a highlift is unbearable for more than a few feet and nearly impossible with a strap (you need to use chain as it does not stretch).
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
He says he already has a winch. As far as the high lift goes, get the shorter one. I have a 60" and it's length makes it a bitch to mount and I don't think I've needed it for anything a 48" couldn't have handled.
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Hi Charles.

Want me to bring a cutoff wheel to the next NoVA Happy Hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
He says he already has a winch. As far as the high lift goes, get the shorter one. I have a 60" and it's length makes it a bitch to mount and I don't think I've needed it for anything a 48" couldn't have handled.
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Oh, if you have a winch, get a tree strap and a snatch block. Next on my list would be some extra rope if you wheel places without a lot of anchorable items.
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Don, I have the Bill Burke cd's I'll sell you. I found it helpful to watch how these tools were designed to be used. It does sound lame, I agree, but knowing how these tools were designed to be used will either save you time, money, or even a finger or two.

Clay
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Clay - I'll take the B. Burke, but is it a DVD for a TV or CD for a computer? Didn't think about it but yeah, it could mean saving a finger or 2 getting yourself out.

It sounds like the Hi-Lift is a hit or miss and the 60" isn't necessarily recomended. I was hoping to mount it on the cage behind the front seats - lower than the Tuffy- out of the way. I am running Corbeau seats so the stock jack is a PITA to get out anyway, so I might just go with the Hi-Lift to have a jack easliy accessable. Or maybe I'll pull the stock jack out when I have a chance this weekend and see if I could mount that behind the cage itself.

Snatch Block will be added to the list - seems like an important piece - sounds like it would be more important than a Hi-Lift.

I do have winch - Warn XD9000 that came with the truck. I pulled the line all the way out and found that the bolt holding it to the drum was missing. Replaced the bolt and pulled the line in as tight and neat as I could - so it seems the winch works - altough I'll need to try it under load.

Thanks for all the help guys - I'll need to order this pretty soon so I have it for a possible trip in August.
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I have a receiver hitch I will send you cheap.
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
I have a receiver hitch I will send you cheap.
Does it look something like this? If so, I'll definitely take it.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/r...r/DSC08976.jpg
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
I've gotten 2 small trips off-road w/ my 90 so far since I got her in January and enjoyed both a lot and look forward to doing some more.

The truck came with a winch and I've been piecing together parts for a 2" lift and some 255/85-16 BFG MT's. Also have some used sliders on the way (thanks D90 classifieds).

My concern was what happens when I do get stuck. Going thru EE's site I came up w/ a list last night:

- Superwinch Receiver Shackle Bracket. (I already have and ARB shackle up front on the ARB bar)
- Bill Burke - 4-Wheeling America Getting UNStuck (might be lame I know, but I've heard really goods thing about his class but don't have the time to go anytime soon)
- Expeditionware Recovery Strap
- Expeditionware Tree Strap
- Expeditionware Black Hi-Lift Jack Isolator
- Hi-Lift 60" X-Treme Jack
- Hi-Lift Jack Off-Road Base
- Hi-Lift Jack Handle-All (The 4 piece shovel, axe, pick, sledge - I like it as it's small, compact, and strong)
- Bucket Boss Pro GateMouth Utility Bag - to keep everything together in 1 spot

I wanted to see what you seasoned pro's thought of the list. I would like to keep it @ $500. From my limited knowledge it seems like a good bang for the buck and can add to it as I get more into wheeling.
Your WAY overdoing it. Which is the trademark of a good rover owner, so don't feel bad. All you need is a 48in highlift (yes you need it, bringing only a bottle jack gives you no way to deal with some typical breaks and is useless in many situations). A strap, and a snatchblock. Buy the stuff on ebay and spend the other $400 on CV's and axles.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Naah. I thought about cutting mine down, but actually aquired a 48" jackall for cheap a while back. I just need to clean it up a little and slap some grease on it (or swap shafts with my high lift)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Hi Charles.

Want me to bring a cutoff wheel to the next NoVA Happy Hour?
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I favor the 60in highlift, but I sold both of mine after I saw someone nearly killed by one (he lost an eye).

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cover, kit