Recommendations for Classic Car Insurance? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 9th, 2014, 02:31 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Recommendations for Classic Car Insurance?

Hi Guys! I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Classic Car Insurance. I'm looking into getting it for my 1995 Defender 90 we recently restored. In addition to the bonus of lower insurance (since its not my daily driver), I would mainly like the benefit of insuring it for its actual value.

1) Does a '95 qualify? I understand QQ plates in NJ require the truck be 25 years of age, but does that also apply for the insurance?

2) If it depends on the insurance company, does anyone know of one that will take a truck that is 19 yrs old?

Any recommendations or advise super appreciated.

Thanks,
Bri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

While the State may consider it a classic car, insurers have different attitudes. You can probably just add it to your regular insurance, albeit with a mileage limitation.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 9th, 2014, 02:35 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMD View Post
Hi Guys! I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Classic Car Insurance. I'm looking into getting it for my 1995 Defender 90 we recently restored. In addition to the bonus of lower insurance (since its not my daily driver), I would mainly like the benefit of insuring it for its actual value.

1) Does a '95 qualify? I understand QQ plates in NJ require the truck be 25 years of age, but does that also apply for the insurance?

2) If it depends on the insurance company, does anyone know of one that will take a truck that is 19 yrs old?

Any recommendations or advise super appreciated.

Thanks,
Bri

PM me if you want a NJ contact. http://www.americancollectors.com/Co...le-Qualify/29/ I am very happy with the policy I just got from them.

Old July 9th, 2014, 07:01 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
I looked at the rates offered by the various classic car insurers but I just added it to my current policy for less. My truck is a 1987 and I usually take a high deductible to keep the rates lower. I did the same for my Shleby Cobra replica.
Old July 9th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I use American Collectors also for my E-Type. Never had a claim, but the rates are quite good for an agreed value policy.

Angus
Old July 9th, 2014, 07:30 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I use Hagerty with agreed value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 9th, 2014, 09:25 PM
MGPete
Pete C
'95 D90 SW

Registry
I will hop on the American Collector bandwagon, located in Cherry Hill. I have my '95 NAS D90 insured with them for an agreed value, with the ability to use the truck regularly, not as restrictive as my other classics, and I am happy with the policy and customer service.
Old July 9th, 2014, 09:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Anyone want to share some of the rates they are seeing for insuring their Defender with American Collectors?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 12th, 2014, 09:12 AM
AnnArborYellow
David
1995 NAS Defender 90

For a D90?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Do you use Hagerty for a classic or your Defender? I use Hagerty for my classics but was told the 1995 D90 didn't fit their criteria.
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:22 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborYellow View Post
Do you use Hagerty for a classic or your Defender? I use Hagerty for my classics but was told the 1995 D90 didn't fit their criteria.
Confirmed, they won't do Defenders newer than 1985 unless they are part of a historical "collection" (such as a group of military vehicles). And you need to be the one owning the "collection".

You may want to try American Collectors, Travelers, or Chubb.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Hagerty no longer insures 4x4s under 30 years. They used to from what I've been told.
I recent inquired about insurance on a '94 RRC.
Otherwise for "other" classics the cut line is 20-years.
A rep tells me they are working on that and may be accepting policies on 20-year old Defenders in the near future, but not right now.
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:12 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
For the minivan?
Old July 13th, 2014, 07:52 PM
SGS714
Scott Striglos
3xRRC 2xD90 2xD110 Series II, IIA

I worked with an independent agent last week to insure.
A; 95 RRC LWB with 3.0L TDI and R380 Value 21k
B: 95 RRC SWB 78k miles Value 13k
C: 94 D90 NAS Nothing British in the drivetrain and tweaked for off-road Value 30k
D; 93 D110 NAS all original Value 95k
He went with Progressive 2k deductible, and above stated actual values; Told him I drive them all and have different truck I insure via my office for 65% of my driving.
$3200yr
I bailed on my other insurance company and quickly wrote him a check.
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Mes788
Mike S

Registry
Insurance for 1986 Defender 110

I have been searching for a policy and used your recommendations and approached Hagerty & American Collectors. Hagerty stated they only insure under 1985 and American Collectors stated they only do collectible cars and a defender does not fit.

Any other recommendations?
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:36 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mes788 View Post
I have been searching for a policy and used your recommendations and approached Hagerty & American Collectors. Hagerty stated they only insure under 1985 and American Collectors stated they only do collectible cars and a defender does not fit.

Any other recommendations?
geico, I've said it before and I'll say it again, add a bunch of 'improvements' basically anything you've bolted on and in the case of an accident you should be covered.
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Hagerty is great

------ Follow up post added September 5th, 2014 04:38 PM ------

Hagerty
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Mes788
Mike S

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
Hagerty is great

------ Follow up post added September 5th, 2014 04:38 PM ------

Hagerty

that's what i've been told however they only insure 1985 and under. trying the geico route now.
Old September 5th, 2014, 07:36 PM
pdz
paul tj deasey
1994 D90 - #795

I have a friend that works for state farm and gave me a quote for fix value policy for my 94 nas. He could do one under their antique vehicle policy due to the low volume of production even though its not 25 years old, which is how they normally work. I ended up not taking it due to it increasing my rate because you can't have it with muti-car discount. Its something to look into though for anyone interested.
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

I ended-up going with Grundy after checking into several of the companies that would do agreed value policies. I tried Haggerty initially but they will not cover Land Rovers in their fixed-value collector policies.

The quote I got from Grundy for $28K in coverage was about half the cost of American Collectors for the same fixed value policy with similar restrictions. And yes, this is a collector vehicle policy which is fine with me since my truck is only a weekend driver.

I think I pay a bit under $250 for the year.

Hope this is useful.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old September 7th, 2014, 11:44 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Confirmed, they won't do Defenders newer than 1985 unless they are part of a historical "collection" (such as a group of military vehicles). And you need to be the one owning the "collection".

You may want to try American Collectors, Travelers, or Chubb.
I was able to get my 1995 NAS Defender 90 Insured last month as a 'Antique/Classic' vehicle through J.C. Taylor.

The Agreed Value: $75,000
Annual Insurance Cost: About $1100 (I'm single male w/ a few points on license)

Hope this helps! Good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
classic, insurance