Defender Source Forum banner

Recommendation on a Fire Extinguisher - size, type, mounting, etc.

Tags
fire mount
3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  kellymoe 
#1 ·
Keep seeing and reading about the 110 fires, and even though I have replaced Trans Oil Cooler and Powersteering lines, know I need a fire extinguisher on board.

So looking for input on size, type, where to buy, and mounting options that the board has had success with.

Any input welcome! Thanks in advance. COSteve:confused

#2 ·
From what I've been reading, the Haylon (sp?) type works best as it sucks the oxygen out of the flames - hence putting them out. This also means they're pricier. If you do a search on eBay, you'll see different kinds.

Having said that, I currently just have the regular Kidde fire extinguisher on both my Disco and D90. But after reading on the fires, I am now looking at the Haylon stuff.

#3 · (Edited)
Get a BIG one so you don't have to resort to throwing dirt or sand on your car.

"BC"dry chemical is the best IMHO. CO2 and Halon won’t leave the white powder everywhere, but you know where it is going and you won’t accidentally breathe it. You don’t want to pass out trying to extinguish the fire.

I like the Ansul brand; it is what we have on all our equipment at work. (with "Purple K" powder) They have saved allot of expensive Caterpillar iron.

www.ansul.com

#4 ·
I thought halon would be the way to go but the people that sell it say it has to be used in an enclosed area. It is a gas and flows away if not contained.

I suppose that means it wouldn't be much good for an engine fire.

I was trying to get away from the ABC stuff because it is corrosive. But i guess if your truck gets on fire you'll have major clean up anyhoo.

#5 ·
Halon would be the way to go. The enclosed area statement is true. I am considering making a small hatch with a plate I can slide open on the firewall. Stick the nozzle through the hole and let it rip in the enclosed engine compartment. You shouldn't be messing with opening the hood anyway that's a good way to get fried.

#6 ·
snuffer said:

I was trying to get away from the ABC stuff because it is corrosive. But i guess if your truck gets on fire you'll have major clean up anyhoo.
I have never heard of ABC being corrosive. If it is, probebly not this corrosive.

Halon systems are usually called fire suppression systems They are used on race cars to give the driver time to get out. I wouldn't bet my D-90 that it would put the fire out.

Attachments

#7 ·
Halon was suposed to have been removed from the market due to it being an ozone depleater or something along that line.

#10 ·
I thought halon was going a way too. I talked to a fire equipment company and they said no new halon systems would be installed (EPA I suppose?) and when this happened a lot of the businesses that had halon systems got rid of them.

The fire equipment company bought up a lot of halon systems and stored the stuff for resale, so it can be had at least for now.

#11 ·
AFFF

I keep 2 extinguishers in my vehicles, and use AFFF (aqueous film forming foam - try saying it 3 times quickly!). Mine meet FIA homologation, so it's good enough for me.

I think halon is now illegal for fire extinguishers in Europe, so manufacturers are mostly using AFFF, and they say it's non-toxic, lighter and has faster knock down times than halon.

I like the Lifeline products (http://www.lifeline-fire.co.uk/products/int_sys.htm, and use them. Spa Design (http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/firesystems.htm) has a good reputation too. Both British companies, but are available internationally.

I don't have any photos of the 90, here's one of the 110, rear roll cage.

Oh, the only time I've had to use them was on an MR2 in Switzerland. It is scary how quickly 1) the fire starts and 2) the fire extinguisher is used up. Always have 2!

Cheers,
Nick.

Attachments

#13 ·
Steve, don't hesitate to replace the oil lines as well and immediately. I had replaced both tranny and steering lines, and then blew an oil line and flames resulted. I had the oil lines on my to-do list.

I carry two extinguishers, mounted on the roll cage inside the second row windows, each side. It took both of them to save my truck.

Doug

#15 ·
Looking at discharge times of 9 seconds for a 5 lb can doesn't leave me with a feeling of confidence.

Anyone consider installing an integrated system activated remotely? Two 5 lb cans with tubes leading into the engine bay and a switch on the dash would be nice.

If popping the hood is not recommended during a fire then how do you deal with it effectively, except for the obvious panic spray at the hood?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.