Recoating question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Recoating question

Maybe a stupid question, But I just bought an "A" Bar from ECR and it needs recoating. Is that something that I can do or do I have to find a shop that specializes in that. If it's something I can do, what kind of paint should I use,ect,ect ? By the way, It's a OEM bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Recoating of what? PC, Spray paint? Poo?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Paint,sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

For best results, sand to bare metal...Apply self etching primer & top coat with color of choice.
Powder coating would be the top choice, most places would charge $45.00 for this.

good luck
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Thanks !
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If you are going to powder coat it... Have your bumper done at the same time, so they match. Or paint it with a rattle can.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Lol. Only on a rover board. Pull out a can of spray paint and touch up. Jeeze.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

sand it if you want bursitis

just take it to a powder coater and drop it off and ask them to sandblast it and powdercoat it...easier, easiest is to hit it with some rustoleum and then go wheeling...or just go wheeling and get it covered in mud so you cant see the defects, that'd be thebest option
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
there's also krylon fusion spray paint..clean and sand the part, then spray.. the coat gels really well-looks like powder coating, did my bumberetts that way, still going strong 3 years later, very minimal wear on corners..then again, some of my powdercoated parts also have minimal wear too. Strongest spray paint Ive seen yet.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Second the krylopn for the do it yourself jobs
Old October 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
d90dan
Dan Berry
1995 D90

Unless its a restoration or you just 'want' power coating, rattle can. You can make it look new whenever you want.
Get a exterior semi-gloss, it looks better then the crap factory coating.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Krylon is very good stuff, for plastics etc..is the best on the market...bonds to plastic very well. ACE hardware has the biggest color selection I have seen anywere.
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Thanks for all the help.Sorry for such a dumb ass question.

Cheers,
Lindy
Old October 4th, 2009, 09:00 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Nah, not a dumb ass question at all. I think a refinish or recoating or whatever you want to call it depends on your local climate, the kind of shape the item is currenly in, how picky you are, how good you are with a spray can and how much time you want to fart around with it.

Being in the northest and kind of picky and not wanting to sand/prep stuff, if a piece needs some work, I'll bring it the local sand blaster, then to the local powder guy. I see what a good powder coat will hold up to on my mtn bikes which get tossed and beat pretty hard and still look decent.

I did that with a 3rd light bar I bought off of here that needed work and I'm stoked I did it everytime I see it in the rear view. The powder filled in a lot of the pitting and I friggen know I would have had runs if I tried to rattle can it.

On the flip side, I bought some used sliders that could use a refinish but they are constantly getting stepped on and do get scratches more likely than other pieces so I just leave them as is.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Flat-black Rustoleum, that is my preferred paint on just about everything.
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I used Krylon Fusion yesterday to repaint my headlight trim. It looks better than new. Krylon Fusion is especially made for plastics but works on metal as well. Not sure if you've painted a lot of parts before Eric, but remember that 10 light dustings is always better than a couple of thick coats. Patience is the key here and you'll get a great result.

I have also heard good things about POR-15 so I picked up a can of that yesterday for repainting my rear crossmember. Link: http://www.por15.com/ It also comes in a can but it more expensive than Krylon.
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
POR15 is OK - The instructions require a fairly extensive prep process. I've found that if you prep something for Krylon according to the POR instructions (remove all rust, clean, use etching solution) then the result it just as good. I think POR is mainly marketing.

Old October 5th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

You're probably right... and I fell for it. If I return it and go the Krylon route, what would you use instead (for etch solution? self etching Primer?). I was looking for Krylon Epoxy spray paint yesterday but it seems that Krylon has discontinued it. Are there any acceptable enamel substitutes that you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
POR15 is OK - The instructions require a fairly extensive prep process. I've found that if you prep something for Krylon according to the POR instructions (remove all rust, clean, use etching solution) then the result it just as good. I think POR is mainly marketing.
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I eventually found the answer to my own question. Summit Racing still has a good selection of Epoxy paints and self etch primers.

Link:http://www.summitracing.com/
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Monkeyboy

Eric,

If you really want powder coat - not my favorite in our locale - there's a coatings place on the way to Adel...north side of the road...I'll be darned if I remember the name.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions