Reciever and Recover point, what hole?! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 20th, 2011, 06:39 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Reciever and Recover point, what hole?!

Hey all, So I finally got my new cross member welded to the truck. It came with it and the old one was shot, so I had a local fabricator weld it on. Took some tweaking as the fit wasn't great but all in all they did a good job I think.

I want to add a 2" reciever to the back of this. I think that will give me the most flexibility if I ever want to hook up a trailer as well as put in an attachment for an easy recovery point. I would also consider a pintle hook or drawbar ring if someone can convince me to go that route.

Anyways, there are a lot of holes and I dont know if any are better than others. There are also 3 threaded holes on the bottom.

Any suggestions? Is there a right or wrong way to do this, other than just use common sense?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0666.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	41260   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0668.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	41261  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Any tow hitch you buy uses the mess of holes in the center, with a backing plate. If you make your own you'll likely do the same, otherwise it's fair game

The NAS bumpers use the holes on the ends and the threaded holes below, as well as have bars that extend forward to the frame rails if you decide to go that route. They are great bumpers, but are expensive and anchors off road.
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:49 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Thanks! I think I found a couple 2" recievers that will work with the bolt pattern.

That also explains WTF those two larger holes on either side are for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2011, 09:24 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
On ROW trucks they were originally designed as jacking points.
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:35 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
bossman - think I saw you and your rig in Sea Bright a couple weeks ago. Looks sweet in all black!

Anyway, I have 3 options at the house you could peep. NAS bumper, Dixon Bates (that's on the 90 now) and a just a reciever that I bought from someone on here that will go on when I swap my rear axle. You are more than welcome to check them out. I know for me it's much easier to see stuff in person.

Like Charles said, the NAS Bumper is an anchor off road and expensive. But if you have people or kids popping in and out of the back it works great and from what I understand is the most strong receiver for towing.

The Dixon Bates (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/di...e/DSC09640.jpg) is what I have now. It cleans up the back but it get's in the kids way for jumping in the back.

I have the one JSQ sells on the shelf (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=30237) Rover's North sells one similiar but it wasn't available last I checked and I think JSQ's version is cleaner. I am going to get a step that goes in the receiver for the kids when driving around town and pull it out when going on trail.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cover