Receiver hitch suggestions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Receiver hitch suggestions?

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which hitch receiver would work best with the North Offroad rear winch crossmember? I'm looking around but Richards needs dimensions shortly to be able to modify things before it goes for galv on Tuesday (Finally!) so more information is better at this point and really I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Just to follow-up, the two I've found so far would be the RN one at http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5...der-90110.aspx and the Pangolin one at http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4...s/hitches.html

The crossmember that Richards is fitting is http://www.northoffroad.co.uk/products.asp which means that the space where a towbar would usually bolt is taken up by the fairlead so neither of those options will really work. They are fitting an 8mm bottom plate on the crossmember though to take the added strain of having a hitch mounted. I'm leaning towards having them make one that looks like the RN one but without the vertical section and beefing up the rest to take the additional strain. Has anyone done something like this and have advice on how strong/thick things need to be to still qualify as class 3?

Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Looks like a NAS rear step bumper would work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes the NAS might work. I don't think either of the other two you referenced would though. You can always have something custom made here once you have the truck built.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Yes the NAS might work. I don't think either of the other two you referenced would though. You can always have something custom made here once you have the truck built.
Yes, Richards just wants to know where to drill before it gets galvanized. I'm talking with them now to see if they can fab up something suitable at the same time. If only I could do a project every few months, then I could learn from my mistakes. (like say rotating a chainsaw chain by hand on the weekend to sharpen it, and having it stick and hand slip... won't do that one again...)

Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would use a UK style one with the bars that go back to the frame rails. I am sure you could modify one of those to work.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

I am in the market for a hitch myself.... anyone running a southdown tank skid plate with removable hitch? Looks like a nice setup and may met your needs Andrew...... Any southdown distributors in Canada?

http://www.southdown4x4.co.uk/DetachableTowing.htm

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hitch