Rebuilt title on a d-90? Need help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

Rebuilt title on a d-90? Need help

Hello guys,

I need a little help. I am looking at a defender that currently has a "rebuilt " title. I have never dealt with a vehicle with a rebuilt title and wonder how much it affects the actual value of the vehicle as well as the ability to insure it. The defender is currently in CA and I wonder if I can even bring it to my home state of NH

So any help on depreciation of value and insurance and re registering it in my home stae would be a huge help.

I also wonder if you would personally stay away from this vehicle.

I had a feeling that this was to sweet a deal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Mine has a salvage title, but that should not affect the registration. It does affect some companies insurance, but a simple phone call will clear that up. I have USAA and there was no issue. It lowers the value, especially as a collectors truck. Period. If you are getting it to wheel and have fun, it is a great way to save money. Typically, I would say it lowers it between 5K and 10K depending on a lot of issues. If it is say a 97 with 40K miles, it may be able to get $40K with everything clear, but I doubt it would get $30K with a salvage.
Old July 1st, 2007, 08:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Mine is a rebuilt title as well. I bought it as a salvage and had it rebuilt. Mine was salvaged in CA, and after being rebuilt, I brought it back to NC. I also have USAA, and had no problem insuring and they don't devalue it for insurance purposes.

I intend to keep mine forever, but by buying a salvage and rebuilding, I saved myself from having to junk a good engine, and my entire front end is brand new without having to pay a premium. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy a rebuilt title vehicle if it's in good condition. it's easy to salvage a defender, if you have an accident where quoted repairs from a dealer can easily rack up in cost. Usually when costs hit around 70-80% of blue book value (for our vehicles that usually around 50% of market value), then the insurance companies will likely just salvage the vehicle and cash you at blue book. Mine was a just an engine fire, and it was salvaged. even though it was mostly structurally sound except for the engine compartment and bonnet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I bought my 110 as a salvage and even got the bank to finance it and insured it while I rebuilt it.

It was hit in the rear end and I spent around 5k dollars rebuilding it.

I don't think that a rebuilt title hurts the value of a 90 or 110 at all. As the vehicles age more and more will get wrecked, stolen, submerged, burned, and have trees fall on them. With the actual sales values staying high and the blue book value dropping, totalling the vehicle will take less damage to write off.

Since they bolt apart and can be easily fixed, the salvage offers a paricularly good value. In my case there is no way I could have ever bought an NAS 110 for 50 cents on the dollar but I did.

Unibody vehicles are a completely different story. Once you have seen them cut a car in half (a clip) and weld it to half of another car, you would think twice about buying it. Not so with Defenders since we don't cut them in half we just buy a new chassis and rebuild it.
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
I bought my 110 as a salvage and even got the bank to finance it and insured it while I rebuilt it....
WTF? I got screwed!!!!! I couldn't get jack squat until I had a rebuilt title! That sucks (for me).
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:06 PM
DaineseUSA
Michael Pham
97 d90 SW #0273

Rebuilt Title

I was "VERY" interested in the vehicle that you speak of, the Rebuilt Title from Ca.
The seller was not only very honest and forthcoming, but he lived where my company was about to put a new location, so I felt that everything was going perfectly....UNTIL

I contact my Credit Union that I have purchased 3 previous vehicles (2 Audis, 1 Land Rover) and they told me that I could not receive the best tier 1 used vehicle rate, and that they would not finance it at all, unless I took out a personal loan at a much higher rate.
Also, when I shopped around at Insurace quotes, most places were charging more to insure the Salvage/Rebuilt status vehicle, so all in all, this vehicle would cost me more to own than one that a dealer was selling at a premium.

Not sure about the rules in NH, but the first two calls I would make are

1) Financial Institution: bank, credit union, mob, etc... unless you are paying cash

2) Insurance Company.

Best of luck!

Michael
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

guys

thanks for the info! im still going to try and proceed with this defender. I will just have to make those calls and see if it is worth it.

Then there is always the problem of getting rid of my 04 jeep rubicon. atleast with a dealer they would take itin trade!

Jay
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

What one should also keep in mind with salvage title vehicles is that there typically is good reason for calling it "salvage". There are always opportunities to find value, and if any vehicle can be built and rebuilt like an Erector set toy, a Defender is it. However, the nature of what caused it to go "salvage" can offer some guidance as to what future ownership might bring. Those that are flooded often have electrical gremlins until everything is ripped out. Wrecked cars sometimes will never track straight, or worse, will have damage not yet revealed. The only thing that ever cures some of these issues is a complete rebuild.

From the perspective of someone looking for a longterm project vehicle, already predisposed to the notion of major work, the appeal of the salvage title is apparent. Having a full and complete understanding of the age old 'buyer beware' the owners can make out well, as several guys posting here demonstrate. If you are buying this as a daily driver, where you need to depend on it not to break down or break the bank, and have a somewhat limited budget, there is much more to consider. The extra $5k or $10k for a sound truck may prove the better buy. You really have to know what is/was damaged and what needs/needed replacement. Sometimes, there is too much unknown.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Check the frame. I have seen a couple "rebuilt" D-90s that have had bent frames. Easy to miss if the bend is not serious, but they are never "right" unless you put a new frame in it.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I agree with Robert. All salvage and rebuilts are not the equal. you need to know the nature of the reason for salvage. for mine, I knew that an engine fire would not effect the structur of the frame or body (other than the bonnet), but would require electrical work upfront, and a complete removal, blast and repaint of all components to prevent corrosion in the future. conversion to diesel as an initial intent meant that there wasn't anything in the engine compartment that I wanted anyway, as my kit came with almost everything.

a collision would draw much more attention to scrutiny at the structural soundness of the parts, and would be a great time to swap out with a replacement galvanized frame.

water flooding means electrical and longer term corrosion gremlins, again good reason to buy a new replacement harness, block some weekends, and get to know your new ride.

I'm definitely a glass half full guy when it comes to salvage, its' a justified reason to get to know or prioritize projects that you would want to do anyway. if you're buying a rebuilt, you may be buying a vehicle that has already had to prioritize projects you would end up doing or want to do down the road. The defender is amazingly easy to work on, and engineered for repair like a Lego set. And as previously mentioned, any other vehicle and I would have serious concerns.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
If you are buying this as a daily driver, where you need to depend on it not to break down or break the bank, and have a somewhat limited budget, there is much more to consider.
That is very true. Let me list some other things to consider.

1. Honda Accord
2. Toyota Camry
3. Nissan Maxima
4. Chevy Astro
5. Dodge Caravan
6. Honda Odessey
7. Toyota Sienna

IOW, don't buy ANY Land Rover and not expect it to perform flawlessly. Yeah, most guys here have a good track record with their trucks, because guys here actually work on them. BUT, if you're not mechanically inclined, don't plan on spending some time with the truck and/or have a money tree growing in the back yard to send it off to the dealer to have it fixed, then run...no, RUN away from ANY Land Rover.

But, I think a salvage vehicle is a great way to save some cash, learn some things about your truck's maintenance and figure out how to modify it to YOUR specifications.

Sounds like a pretty good deal if you can swing it.

Oh yeah, take the $$$ you saved and buy an Accord. You'll need it for the parts run to NAPA.
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I agree that all salvage rebuilts are not equal and I stick by my guns that salvage titles do and should lower the value of a truck. Check them out thoroughly--and ask for evidence that they were rebuilt correctly. The frame is one of many important factors. I started with a new frame when I started with a used truck...
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
I agree that all salvage rebuilts are not equal and I stick by my guns that salvage titles do and should lower the value of a truck. Check them out thoroughly--and ask for evidence that they were rebuilt correctly. The frame is one of many important factors. I started with a new frame when I started with a used truck...
That before picture looks rough. Glad to see you could save it.

BTW, the new Rovers North catalog has a story referencing someone who had a flooded salvage Defender with electrical issues. And, yes, he got soaked.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90