Rebuilt 300tdi vs HS2.8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:42 AM
Shams Helminski
'71 IIa Hybridized
Rebuilt 300tdi vs HS2.8

Thinking about options for a new engine (tired 3.9l currently). Not feeling like putting the effort into swapping something that is isn't new/rebuilt or gone through. Thinking about a 300tdi vs HS2.8. With a 300tdi I think I would want a VNT turbo added--seems like the cost of rebuild plus the VNT would put it in range pricewise of a full 2.8 from M&D.

I already have a suffix L R380 (V8) that is in good shape. So I would probably plan to use that transmission with a V8 fitting kit from M&D if I was going the 2.8l option. From my understanding the M&D 2.8l engines these days are rebored 300tdi blocks with largely new parts.

If I were to go the 300tdi route, I would probably be looking at getting a full 300tdi "kit"--engine transmission, etc.

Curious to hear what other peoples' thoughts are. Also curious to hear from anyone with experience fitting a 2.8 what the best options seem to be regarding engine mount choice (300tdi vs V8 frameside engine mounts).

Any input would be appreciated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

300tdi, tdi