Rebuilding Tdi Turbo - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 11th, 2015, 07:30 PM
87 D110 (Ruby)
Thanks Gene - I did that, same thing, but I couldn't get that little collar thing on the shaft in, and couldn't get the shaft back in the housing - finally I got it in, but I just don't feel very comfortable that i did it 100% knowing that a small kink or scratch or damage could screw it all up. So I am looking at the cartridge as the next best (inexpensive) route...then of course it is all out new turbo. I have another turbo housing so I figure that a cartridge in that will get me a "rebuilt" unit.

"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
Old November 13th, 2015, 01:18 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post

has anyone done the CHRA implant? Anyone? I think I am going to pick one up and give it a shot. Seems like a good way to go. Just wondering if anyone can offer up experience.
I just installed one yesterday. I too, lost one bolt on the turbine housing and had to drill it out. Other than that, dealing with the big circlip was the biggest hassle. Good sized needlenose pliers seemed to end up being the best way.

Anywho, it is back together and running as normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447376474.112981.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	134537  

Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions