Rebuild screeches to a halt--WTF!!! Free beer! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 13th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Angry Rebuild screeches to a halt--WTF!!! Free beer!

Quick background. Old 4.6 had a porous block. Swapped to another used, pressure tested block. Same crank (ground a second time, .20/.20), new bearings, timing chain, same old everything else. Built it in the garage, just dropped it and tranny/transfer back into the truck and assembled 90% of it. Went to put on the pulleys and belts and the first thing I noticed is that the BELT TENSIONER CAN'T ALIGN WITH THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY--it can't come out far enough. That can't be right. Water pump pulley doesn't align with the crankshaft pulley, either. Aren't the timing marks directly under the timing indicator that bolts to the front? Mine isn't--the indicator barely reaches the flat area and doesn't come close to the marks. The Alternator, however, has it's pulley aligned with the crankshaft pulley which leads me believe that the front cover doesn't stick out far enough which doesn't make sense.

The front of the crankshaft is only slightly recessed from the flange on the pulley (enough to cause tension/friction when you put on the crankshaft bolt)--I have a spacer on the crankshaft since I am using a 4.6 crankshaft but old style timing cover (distributor)--but I am reusing the same one.

I have no fucking clue what is going on. Yeah, I am tired, grouchy and pissed, but I still tried to figure this out and am stumped. I'm feeling a bit stressed right now--I know my wife and friends would like to see me more but I really don't function well when my D90 is sick and it is almost wheeling season. Help if you can--I am missing something and the first person to let me know what boneheaded mistake I am making I will send a selection of my absolute favorite IPA Beers to. I'm a hop head, for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pulley.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	26580   Click image for larger version

Name:	timing mark.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	26581  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2010, 02:26 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

The only thing I can think of is that your either your crank key is keeping the spacer from dropping all the way in, thus causing your pulley(balancer) to not tighten all the way. so just to be sure or your oil pump shaft is preventing the distributor drive gear to slip onto the crank all the way.

1 slip distributor/oil pump drive gear on crank (hopeully as mentioned above you did not try to install the oil pump shaft as it may be preventing the drive gear from seating on the crank

2 put in spacer,
3 tighten down balancer

4 install pump gears and pack pack pack that mofo with grease so that it gets the oil pressure up quickly
5 install the distibutor drive gear.

pull
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I thought (from dim and distant memory) that the oil pump and distributor ran off of the cam shaft drive?
Either way I'd pull the front cover and check everything with a clear head, something isn't right and trying to force it will end in broken gear.
Try checking the pulley seats correctly on the crank without the front cover on, take some measurements to the pulleys from the front of the block then you can see if the alignment is right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

[QUOTE=CDeWan;215979] Possibly your your crank key is keeping the spacer from dropping all the way in, thus causing your pulley(balancer) to not tighten/seat all the way.

Or your oil pump shaft is preventing the distributor drive gear/oil pump gear from slipping onto the crank all the way.

1 slip distributor/oil pump drive gear on crank (hopeully as mentioned above you did not try to install
the oil pump shaft as it may be preventing the drive gear from seating on the crank)

2 put on spacer,
3 put on balancer

4 install pump gears and pack pack pack that mofo with grease so that it gets the oil pressure up quickly

5 install the distibutor
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:32 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

put the pulley on first...THEN the spacer........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Matt, shoot me your address! That is what I get for working 14 hours on the truck and skipping meals. Total monster brain fart. The second you said that, it totally made sense. PM me--thanks!
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
....I really don't function well when my D90 is sick and it is almost wheeling season.
Haha, too funny. Glad you figured it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:43 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Matt, shoot me your address! That is what I get for working 14 hours on the truck and skipping meals. Total monster brain fart. The second you said that, it totally made sense. PM me--thanks!

Send him root beer. The mudge prefers it to beer.

Old April 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
hey, no worries mate. Wasn't in it for the beer.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old April 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Thread winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
hey, no worries mate. Wasn't in it for the beer.
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

If it was me, I would of put in a new water pump, I'm just saying....

Robert Deniro
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:36 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Thread winner!
yup....can have a (root) beer anyday! It's all about the glory on The D-90 Source!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild