Rebuild or replace? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Rebuild or replace?

My '95 NAS Defender has a clutch master cylinder that will totally "empty its bladder" if it's not driven for more than a week or so. Needless to say, I need to correct this situation. My questions are:

1. I've had some cars that simply didn't appreciate having their hydraulics rebuilt, but others worked quite well. So, any advice on whether it's suitable to rebuild or should I replace the master cyl with a new unit?
2. Have you found that the slave cyl will, most likely, have to be rebuilt shortly after being put behind the pressure of a renewed master cyl?
3. Should I go ahead and replace the hose between the two or should I replace it only if it looks like it's got some wear?

It's not that big a deal to spend the money for new parts, but I see no reason to do so, unless the general consensus is that I'll be right back to where I am in a short time if I go the rebuild route.........any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

the top rubber was all mine was and it has been fine for a month. Hope that helps a little bit.
And I love you too
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Clutch Cylinders

My master cylinder failed 4 days after replacing the slave. I would replace them all. The slave and flex house are easy to do. Master slightly harder just because of the location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover
My master cylinder failed 4 days after replacing the slave. I would replace them all. The slave and flex house are easy to do. Master slightly harder just because of the location.
The master rebuild is easy once the cylinder is out of the vehicle, but getting it out is a PITA. I have rebuilt twice and it seemed to last almost as long as the OEM on the first one and now the second one is still going.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I've been rebuilding/replacing those MC/SC's for over 30 years. I've done a fair number.
My experience has been it's hit or miss and I've not seen any indicators at the time whether a particular rebuild will be successful or not. I usually base the choice on how much time I expect to have in the coming weeks to do it over again (and how much I got a new unit for). For customers I nearly always installed new, unless they chose to try a rebuild.
I've always done both, plus the flex line, at the same time, unless my customer refused.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rebuild