rebuild Calipers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 27th, 2010, 08:57 AM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
rebuild Calipers

My front pads are wearing all erratic. one pad was 75% on the inside right and the outside left was gone. the inside left I could not get the clappers to compress enough for the new pad so I had to put the 25% worn pad back in. So I am thinking I need to rebuild the Calipers. I have Lockheed's. I looked at RDS and he has a rebuild kit for$125. DAP has refurbished for 159 + core. or new for 225. I was thinking If I am getting OME Lockheed's from DAP with the refab I would go that way. Does anyone have any direction for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:17 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

You probably did, but, did you have the cap off the reservoir?
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
yes, and bled them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Erratic wear is almost always cause for a rebuild, they may not be floating calipers but if all 4 pistons are moving ok the pressure should be nice and even.

At the prices given, I'd probably go with just getting an already rebuilt or new caliper. I remember snagging a rebuild kit with pistons for $60 or so about 5 years ago, which made rebuilding yourself a good deal, but since the prices are now double..... there's no point to it.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:10 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Yeah, getting new ones is always the best option, to properly rebuild the existing ones you need a hone, and might even need to split them and that's honestly just too much headache to save $40 the 2nd time (since a hone is about $20-30). It's also a good time to put a coat of caliper paint on to keep the corrosion at a minimum.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild