? reattach speedo cable - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2014, 01:55 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

? reattach speedo cable

Just replaced bulbs with LED in the gauges which I did but in doing so, I pulled out the dash and felt something give. It turns out it was the speedo cable which is now quite slack on the end towards the bulkhead. Speedo doesn't work. How and where do I look for the end to re-attach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2014, 02:04 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
The end of the speedo comes out of the bulkhead and just pushes on the the speedo. Open the hood and push it deeper into the car if you find it's too short. Someone posted a pic of the end this morning too btw.
Old December 14th, 2014, 02:54 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
You're supposed to pinch the end of the cable to get the plastic thingy to free the cable from the speedo. Don't worry, they have a tendency to brake easily. Just push it back from the engine bay into the bulkhead and insert it back into the speedo. If your speedo jumps a bit just push it from the engine bay. You might tape it to your speedo but, usually, just fit it and forget.
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2014, 07:15 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

The speedo is dead (no signal). It's still connected on the back to the white plastic connector. The black insulation was "stripped off when I pulled the dash out so I could get to the bulbs. Now the inner speedo wire can be freely pulled from the direction of the bulkhead. Previously, it was very taught. I think I need to find the other end and re-attach it to where it picks up the signal. Can anyone show me via pictures how to do this or if this is my issue?
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM
PresidentGod
Jacob
'87 110CSW-sold; '88 110CSW-sold

The other end it attaches to is at the transfer case under the truck. Its the black cable going into the LH side of the T case coming down the left frame rail.
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Lawrence, how about you show us pictures of what you are seeing? What you are describing doesn't make sense. The inner (square) cable should not be exposed.

However, the cable first goes to the VSS which is a little box on the inside of the left frame rail - just follow the cable down.
Old December 14th, 2014, 09:22 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I think I had this happen. I wound up building a sleeve and using really small hose clamps to re attach the cable housing to the back of the speedo. It works, sort of. I under stand the upper sections are non existant now.
Old December 14th, 2014, 10:01 PM
PresidentGod
Jacob
'87 110CSW-sold; '88 110CSW-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
... the cable first goes to the VSS which is a little box on the inside of the left frame rail - just follow the cable down.
Yes, sorry! The last one I had apart was my '87. The cable on it went directly to the t-case. Been awhile since I had my '95.

If you end up needing parts check into lrdirect dot com, they're great. UK based but they ship fast and the prices are really good. You'll need to know your part number, that's the only drawback.

Jake
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:33 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks guys. I'll post pictures and a video from my iPhone (if possible) to show what happened on the dashboard side. I'm not versed in car parts at all so after I post pics, if some one can likewise post pics of the transfer case and the speedo cable, I'd much appreciate it.

I got this '95 NAS Defender with NO rust this summer and with 83K on the chassis and 26K on a new block and rebuilt top but have put in another 13K or so in parts/repairs/updates (new gas tank/fuel pump was the most costly) so I'd like to be able to do this myself, if possible, and not have to take it back to the mechanic.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:42 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I think I had this happen. I wound up building a sleeve and using really small hose clamps to re attach the cable housing to the back of the speedo. It works, sort of. I under stand the upper sections are non existant now.
Did the same thing on my '94. Used a length of hose cut lengthwise, slipped it over the cable and the white connector right where it broke and secured with two hose clamps. Worked like a dream.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:47 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I did the exact same thing while replacing my dash lights with LED. Mine is at the shop now having a bunch of other work done and I told the mechanic to get on that as well. I thought mine pulled out a bit at the speedo itself, not anywhere near the bulkhead. May sound silly but did you check that it didn't come lose at the speedo gauge itself? That's where I think mine came lose.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, speedo