Rear x-member advice please - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 26th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless
Rear x-member advice please

My rear x- member has rusted through on my defender 50th ( basically the same as the Nas 90 ). It only seems to be the visible part (bumper) that has suffered, with the tank support brackets in good shape.
Whilst both MIB (if you can contact them) and Bearmach sell the correct cross member, these are with extensions and tank support mounts. Given I am based in Hong Kong, I have the shipping and local experience to deal with. I have tried in vain to get a definitive non-extensions version for the 50th /NAS 90 from either Britcars or Rimmer Bros. Unfortunately
shipping from the US is still a painful experience.
However, am I correct in thinking that the bumper ( visible part) is basically the same as other defenders of the time..and it is the tank brackets and such further down the assembly that make it special (unique to the NAS)?
Does someone have the correct Land rover code number for the rear x-member without extensions or rather, very short ones?
Cheers, tim

Old September 26th, 2014, 08:14 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
I have had to convert ROW rear crossmember a to suit NAS trucks..while the tank brackets were the biggest pain you also have to modify where the back of the tank support plate mounts to the underneath of the rear crossmember .. I think 4 captive nuts welded there.. And you had to remove or add a support piece inside the rear of the member..if I recall correctly..

Old September 26th, 2014, 08:26 AM
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118
Let me first say I can only speak to NAS (and not ROW 50th but its my understanding they are similar) because i did this to mine. if you search you could find my old threads. When the crossmember rots out, most of the time you need to replace the xmember extensions as well (or they are soon to follow with rot). And often the NAS fuel tank mounts can be rotted as well. The NAS fuel tank mounts are impossible to source but stephen peters has fabbed them up and they are incredible, well made, thick, better than OEM. Think about getting a xmember with extensions, stephen peters mounts, and a thick galvy fuel tank cradle. when the job is finished, prep, paint, waxoyl. Make sure to treat the crease on the leading side of the crossmember, fill it with grease, waxoyl whatever but keep the elements out of that area.
"Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place"

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions