Rear window reflection--cars from behind? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Rear window reflection--cars from behind?

For those with hard tops, do many of you have the on-coming headlights reflect off your rear window and reflect back to your rear view mirror? It sometimes feels someone is right on your tail? I HATE that! Has anyone come up with a solution?

I have searched for a solution for some time and it seems that the best bet is an anti-relection film that we can apply to the inside of the rear window. I have been talking with 3M and am having them send me a sample of one of their films for evaluation (only a 11" square sample). If it works, I can get pieces that are 26x44 and come in packs of 10 and are clear with a "permanent" adhesive on the back. I don't have my truck here right now, but I think the windows are about 13" tall, so this may mean that I can get 20 sheets available out of a 10 sheet pack by having them cut in half lengthwise.

So far, they have only sent me pricing for the 13"x22" pack of 25 sheets for $1150--which comes out to $46/each. The larger size will obviously be more expensive, but cut in half, I bet they will only be marginally more expensive (hopefully).

Anyways, two questions. 1) Does any one else have another option? 2) If it works, are there enough people that would want a sheet so we can all split the cost? I am not after the $$ if there are enough people to split it--I will pay the same as everyone else if we do this. Any interest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i hate when i feel like people are chasing me also.
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:20 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I don't know if it will help, but I installed an auto dimming rear view mirror with temp gauge and compass. It works awesome. It might help you, they are on ebay pretty cheap.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Great suggestion, Shawn--I might try that. Did you need to do any antennae or temp probe when wiring that?
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM
khouseal
Kevin Houseal
1994 NAS D-90

Always tends to wake me up when I see that car flying up behind me, then I realize it's not real and go back to sleep. I've thought of trying a can of luster or satin spray like we used to use on photos to kill the gloss. Optically clear for the most part. Sure would be a lot less than the cost of the 3m film.
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:27 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Could do what I do. Don't run a rearview mirror. Mine came sitting in the center console when I got the truck. Honestly don't miss it.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:02 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Yes, you must run some wiring, but it is not bad. I tapped power at the fuse panel in the center console, but I've heard you can grab it off the interior light, too. I ran the temp probe from the mirror, down the windshield frame and through the firewall all the way to in front of the radiator. I then zip tied it to the support bar in front of the radiator. Works perfectly, like factory.

97 D90 SW
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

That is life with a Hard top.......Never found a solution. Keeps you on your toes when you are tired..........

Flagg
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:53 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

You guys just haven't owned your vehicle long enough. After a few decades you can drive at night by the reflection in your rearview mirror.
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
Yes, you must run some wiring, but it is not bad. I tapped power at the fuse panel in the center console, but I've heard you can grab it off the interior light, too. I ran the temp probe from the mirror, down the windshield frame and through the firewall all the way to in front of the radiator. I then zip tied it to the support bar in front of the radiator. Works perfectly, like factory.
How much does your truck weigh?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
How much does your truck weigh?
I don't know. It's probably a couple hundred pounds above a stock wagon.

97 D90 SW
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Now that I am at my home computer, I can post the link-- http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...l=0H01CMQK62gl which is for the 3m film. If anyone has a contact at 3M, I would love to get just one sheet but they don't break them out that way.

I will find a way to try it, if it works out, I will let you those interested know.
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Monkeyboy

Should we be concerned about covering the defroster elements with the plastic...as I'm typing this I realize that window tinting film probably does the same thing???

KAA...need to replace D90 battery this week!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
window