Rear Winch. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:05 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Rear Winch.

Just finalizing the custom changes being done to my new chassis before sending the deposit and I'd like to be able to mount a rear-facing winch but having it outside on a rear winch bumper or on the load-space floor isn't very appealing. I'm going to be installing a full length drawer in the load-space to bring it up flush with the tops of the rear wheel arches as well.

What I was thinking is that perhaps there is room to mount it on the front edge of the load space just behind the 2nd row seating but build a box that goes down and bolt it to the chassis somehow then run the line through a conduit to a fairlead in the rear cross member.

Other than the vector system has anyone seen this done, and better yet know of detailed photos of how it was done and how well it worked?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Buy a removeable winch and put it in the towhitch. Adding all that weight permanently is going to aid in you getting stick, not extracted.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

You can mount a winch on a tow-bar? I thought they only came for receiver hitches... and really, if you slide and put a couple wheels off the road in the snow/ice, having to always drive in those conditions with the winch either in the vehicle or attached isn't very convenient. It isn't a NAS spec so doesn't have the receiver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
You can mount a winch on a tow-bar? I thought they only came for receiver hitches... and really, if you slide and put a couple wheels off the road in the snow/ice, having to always drive in those conditions with the winch either in the vehicle or attached isn't very convenient. It isn't a NAS spec so doesn't have the receiver.
I would add a reciever front and rear and cary one winch. If you have a full utility box back there and two winches, plus all the general crap that rover owners seem to carry, your going to be tipping the scales at over 5500lb. Best to keep it simple.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I guess I'll need to wait for the chassis and see what will fit where, I've got some ideas. I really would like to do a vector type mount but I haven't seen one up close yet to copy.

On a slightly different note I'd prefer to mount a hydraulic front winch (after my XD9000 on the Disco lasted about 13 months before crapping out for some reason, likely salt/road crap, but being in an ARB (yeah I know, big mistake) makes it hard to get out especially at -20C and with the shop occupied with the 110 build).

The Milemarker H10500 seems to be a reasonable option, does anyone know if it will fit onto the Britpart DA5622 Tubular winch bumper? Is there another hydraulic winch in the same class that's another option?

On the same subject, any experience with PTO drive pumps?

It's a fun build but a lot to do all at once.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Check out this build for an awesome rear winch set up.

http://www.devon4x4.com/workshop/110-trayback-1.html
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

That is very cool, when I'm finally finished the 110 and sell off the D2 I want to build a 100" something like that (actually looking more or less like the one on the top banner at http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/ but with a shorter rear overhang, integral cage (one of the Richards custom chassis) and a tray-type back with enough space for a couple spares, the winch, fuel cans etc. I'm hoping to learn enough in this build to do that one without messing it up too badly. Sure learned a lot from the D2 that I won't be repeating... like starting with a D2. Before this I worked mostly on Superbikes so it's been a steep learning curve but fun

Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

You and I think alike!
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
black diesel
Kyle Caskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh

The Milemarker H10500 seems to be a reasonable option, does anyone know if it will fit onto the Britpart DA5622 Tubular winch bumper? Is there another hydraulic winch in the same class that's another option?

On the same subject, any experience with PTO drive pumps?
I would do what I could to use a belt driven pump on the engine. There are some out there that have an electric clutch like an AC compressor so they're only on when you need them. This way you'll have your winch all the time regardless of your transmission being in gear or the clutch being in or out. For self recovery I think this way would be much easier to manage than one driven off the transfer case.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

That's not a bad idea, if I mount a York for OBA then I'm not sure I have much room for one there but I'm not decided on that route yet, may just be easier to bolt in a powertank.

Do you know of one that will fit? I was thinking I could also fit an electric pump from a snow plow blade lift as an emergency backup in case the engine is stalled out and I still need to get out, a bit slower but better than a hi-lift

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:57 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

So, the end decision was to fit a rear-winch crossmember to the chassis sourced from North Off Road (http://www.northoffroad.co.uk/products.asp) with an 8mm plate across the bottom to allow me to also fit a tow hitch when needed.

Hopefully deciding this along with going with the bolt-on engine mounts (so if I do a 2.8 swap I don't need to do any welding etc) and the front swaybar mounts will mean the chassis should go into production shortly, yay. This wait is killing me, but of course there's still plenty else to do, got a pile of bodywork off to the paint shop this week.

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

I ordered a kit that uses the MileMarker hydraulics using a pump from the PTO off the transfer case. The winch and pump are modified so it spools and pulls at excellent speeds (not typical hydro slow). It's being installed now. Has reservoir tank under passenger seat.
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:48 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Got a link to the info on that? I was thinking I could install a MM front and rear and just fit an electric pump in as a backup measure in case the engine were to be off and I needed to winch off battery.

Old March 11th, 2009, 10:13 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Linky Linky http://4x4winches.com/

Tons of information. They will rarely pick up the phone if you can even figure out how to call!!!!

Email returns are spotty too.......but they know what they are doing as they do it a lot.

Look at the speed of these things!!!!!! Advantages are winch all day.....Disadvantages rig has to be running.

The kit they sent me was incomplete and had to have some tweaks to install.....being finished now by GBR.
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:13 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Well, if you fit an electric pump as well then you can use it as a slow backup source of pressure, might even be handy if power steering goes out. I looked at those when LRM mentioned them, almost too fast though for my use, for competition amazing though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch