Rear wheel bearing damage potential?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Rear wheel bearing damage potential??

Hi guys, I am looking at making a fairly long trip (for me) in my 1995 D-90 and read somewhere there is potential for rear bearing damage due to lack of oil. If memory serves me correctly, this is due to a supposed "fix" LR tried to prevent the rear seals from leaking, but ends up hypothetically starving the bearings of oil. Is there any real concern here on about a 1000 mile trip? Do I need to do anything to prevent it? Thanks! Happy turkey eatin!
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Jeff, the rear bearings are packed in grease not oil, as long as the grease is clean then they should be fine. One problem that can happen is the inner axle seal can get damaged when inserting and removing the axle shafts and allows diff oil into the wheel bearings. But when this happens the oil goes all over the breaks. An easy check for the bearings is to jack up the wheel and spin the tire by hand and listen for grinding noise, then check for play in the bearings by trying to shake the tire from top to bottom.
Old November 25th, 2004, 01:58 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Having grease and oil is just fine. I have been running that way for a long time. Even if you blow out the bearings and race, you are looking at $100 a side. Not too bad.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2004, 12:21 PM
redrover

Jeff ,I dont know where you read that, but it doesnt make any sense. Like said earlier the bearings are packed in grease. The seal inside the spindle keeps the axle 90 weight gear oil from mixing with the grease in the hub. This seal may get old and allow some oil to mix in with the grease--No Problem. If the seal on the inner side of the hub is bad then you could have dirt and water getting in to the hub bearings. Yes Problem. Or it could allow oil mixed grease to get out and toast your brake disc pad's. SOOOO if your wheel spins free and there are no visible leaks then I wouldnt worry. PS I would pull the wheel hubs and repack the bearings if you have higher miles on the clock and dont see it in your service history. JP
Old November 25th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Thanks for all the info guys! What grease do you all recommend, simple wheel bearing grease or anything special? Is re-packing pretty simple? Thanks again!
Old November 25th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

mobile1 and valvoline both make a nice synthetic grease. That is what I use.
Old November 25th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I like the Mobile one syn grease also, it is pink so it is very easy to tell when it gets dirty.
Old November 28th, 2004, 01:12 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Another vote fpr the Mobile 1 grease.
Old November 28th, 2004, 11:58 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Having the wheel bearings running in oil is fine. The earlier 90's & 110's didn't have the seals on the shafts and the bearings run in oil. My 110 has 166000 miles under it's belt, I've done nearly 100,000 of those miles and had no trouble with the bearings atall. The problem comes when the hub oil seal fails, water gets into the grease packed bearing and it then destroys itself. Keep the hub oilseal in good condition, that will protect the wheel bearings. I believe the British Army took the seals out of the axles that stop the oil getting to the wheel bearings so that they could run in oil as opposed to grease. Make sure the axle breathers are clear and you'll have very little problem with oil getting past the hub seal.

If only getting my 90 to run properly was so simple.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
damage, wheel