Rear Tire Mount - Reassembly - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 5th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Question Rear Tire Mount - Reassembly

Putting the new doors on - almost finished (I keep saying that).

When I took the old mount off the rear there were 6 lugs (steel wheel type) 2 on each arm used as "spacers" behind the monting (threaded) washer.

An idiot owned this one before and some things were "rigged". That being said, are these supposed to be there? Seemed that it pushed the tire out a bit but it was not excessive.

If so, do you need them? I mean the mounting washers are threaded. Or if they are required is there any reason you couldnt just use a spacer i.e. tube or pipe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Yes, the lug nuts are supposed to be there. I believe to space the door. The most important thing on the rear carrier are the threaded washers on top of them. Without those, and the tire won't mount.

Larry, you should buy a new carrier. The door can't support the weight of the tire and will crack at the welds. RN carriers the Mantac, which is what I went with. Looks great and works awesome.

If you don't get the carrier, don't paint the acorn nuts and torx bolts. You'll need to be able to tighten them, which will ruin the paint on the nuts/bolts.

EwS
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how much was your mantec from rovers north?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

$375 when I got it. Looks like they adjusted the price to around 400. The good thing about Rn is that if they see you've made sme big purchases, they'll sometimes work on the price a but or comp you shipping.

EwS

Phil,

You still selling? Why? Just won't be the same here without you!
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Thanks for the input Eric,

I will prob add it . . .just trying to get her back up to specs. Of course I prob should have thought of that before re-mounting the tyre mount as I used black silicone to seal the new outer plate when I bolted it back up.

Yeah I know the threaded washers . . . and I figured I would need the lugs for spacing. Going to just get new ones as to much of a pain to re-galv the old rusted ones.

Just a note: I had gotten a new outer plate because it was cheap. Of course it too looked like $#^% - crappy galv coating and all scratched right from LR UK. Handled it though. The Hammered Coat enamel that rustoleum sells actually worked awesome. The color nearly matches the wheel color and the texture looks really clean. Recoated the washers with Cold Galv compound at going back together looking better than new.

*** another pointer for anyone considering rear door are reconditioning. When remounting the rear door sill used stainless hardware to remount and use 4mm machine (recessed) screws with nuts. The 4mm machine (recessed) will drop right in near flush where the 6mm OEM screwed into the sill plate. The OEM srews screwed into the floor and the heads sat about 1/8" above the plate. With the 4mm they , again, are newar flush and should the door hinges wear down before you notice the extra clearance could save the finish and/or the door IMO.

You can use a bit of mastic on your finger tip hole the nut on and allow you to manipulate it to the screw.

Of course simply using a counter sink bit will work if you are going to paint or re-galv. I chose to replace the sill because it is only 12 bucks at RN

My door rusted out because the hinges had worn out and the door had been dragging on the sill screws. This of course was before I owned her - stupid people should not own such a vehicle. A simple 4.00 kit from RDS could have saved the original one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thanks I might give them a call. Yeah I am selling if someone wants it. I would get another Rover tho, I want an Alpine White Wagon of the 95 vintage.
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Hey I might sell mine if I find a clean 110.

Of course with all the work on the girl and she's approaching like new I would prob have to post her in the autotrader to pull the big jack. And that might take a while so there would have to be 2 defenders in the garage . . . damn, spouse wont be happy scraping the frost off her windshield

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
assembly, mount, tire