Rear tire carrier on bonnet? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 5th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Rear tire carrier on bonnet?

I am wondering if anyone had used their rear tire carrier to mount their spare on there bonnet. My rear door has some structural issues at the moment and am looking for another way to mount a spare until I can get that shores up. I only looked at it briefly but it seems the rear carrier could be mounted to the bonnet with a reinforcing plate underneath and some rubber bumpers (or whatever they're called) so the tire doesn't sit directly on the hood. The paint on my hood looks like a spider web so I'm not concerned with any real damage there. I'm familiar with the potential issues and pitfalls of mounting it on the bonnet but what are everyone's thoughts on this method?
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin
1986 110 Tithonus - Now Sadly Sold

Registry
Makes the bonnet very heavy. You will need to reinforce the bonnet underside ribs quite a lot otherwise the weight will bend the bonnet. I mounted my spare on the bonnet of my 200tdi back in the UK using the genuine parts kit and still managed to bend the bonnet when I lost grip on it and dropped it closed from about six inches open. You'd be better off getting a swing carrier for the rear.
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

One of the 1st things I did when I bought mine back in'99 was to take the tire off the rear door knowing all that weight (~90 lbs.) could not promote longevity of the hinges or door catch.
I mostly travel without the tire, except when on a trip then I carry it on my Front Runner slime line roof rack. I mounted the LR mount to the roof rack with a couple of holes in the LR mount.
Never had a flat with the BFG AT/KO's. And in a pinch, you could always throw the spare in the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Spanner110
I
1993 Defender Pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Disco View Post
I am wondering if anyone had used their rear tire carrier to mount their spare on there bonnet. My rear door has some structural issues at the moment and am looking for another way to mount a spare until I can get that shores up. I only looked at it briefly but it seems the rear carrier could be mounted to the bonnet with a reinforcing plate underneath and some rubber bumpers (or whatever they're called) so the tire doesn't sit directly on the hood. The paint on my hood looks like a spider web so I'm not concerned with any real damage there. I'm familiar with the potential issues and pitfalls of mounting it on the bonnet but what are everyone's thoughts on this method?
Is there any reason why you couldn't mount the spare tire inboard, on either the driver or passenger side? My previous 90 had a tidily fabricated mount point fitted in the rear tub, so that the tire sat sideways behind the drivers seat; it looked pretty neat, didn't take up any room and kept all the road crud off it too. The benefit of doing it this way is that as the weight is taken up by the tubs' wheel arch panel you won't get any structural damage like you would if it were mounted to the bonnet or rear door (both expensive to replace items).
Ok you have to live with slight loss of interior stowage space, but is that so bad? If you decide it has to be externally mounted then I would second the opinion of 'Michael110' and opt for a swing away carrier.
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:19 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Mine's inside across the rear bulkhead - out the crud, as is my highlift.
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Thanks for the input everyone. I would like to avoid mounting it inside as its already tight on space compared to my Disco 2. I've removed it from the door for driving around town and will just save up a few bones to purchase a swing-away tire carrier. It sounds like quite a bit of effort to mount it on the bonnet and you still risk it getting bent. Is there anyone stateside who makes a swing away for a decent price? If not, I just plan on ordering one from the UK
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Spanner110
I
1993 Defender Pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Disco View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I would like to avoid mounting it inside as its already tight on space compared to my Disco 2. I've removed it from the door for driving around town and will just save up a few bones to purchase a swing-away tire carrier. It sounds like quite a bit of effort to mount it on the bonnet and you still risk it getting bent. Is there anyone stateside who makes a swing away for a decent price? If not, I just plan on ordering one from the UK
I'd recommend a genuine Mantec carrier. Other similar 'cheaper' versions are nothing but heartache when the fixings work loose, the rattle of the carrier on the door will drive you to distraction.
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:33 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner110 View Post
I'd recommend a genuine Mantec carrier. Other similar 'cheaper' versions are nothing but heartache when the fixings work loose, the rattle of the carrier on the door will drive you to distraction.

Ouch. that one hurt considering I have/am making a swing away not to mention Rockware has what I think is a great design for a swing away. Mantec mount close to the rear door putting stress on the tub far and away from the corner cappings where as other designs either put the carrier hinge point close to the corner or all the weight on the crossmember.

I have a kit for the bonnet keep staring at it. I eventually wanted a carrier that would hold a highlift and a few jerry cans so I went that direction.
Anyone care to jump in on the idea of going with the bonnet checker plate as a reinforcement for a bonnet with a spare tire mount? Do you think the plates are a good idea so spread the load?
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:16 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I have the same tire carrier as gren_t on here. I believe it is called the SV Holdings / Scorpion racing tire carrier. Very solid and no rattles.

Plenty of others on here have made their own tire carriers. I advise you to research the subject in detail first.

However, you do need to affix it firmly to the rear door frame (not skin) otherwise the weight of the unit will cause oil canning when rock crawling. But this is true of all spare tire carriers.

The bonnet is very weak and has almost no structural value. It depends on the rigidity of the underlying frame. Checker plate adds rigidity to the surface of the bonnet against impact, but against a 50+ lb weight it is the steel frame which will still bear the load almost entirely.

Lifting your bonnet with the spare attached will be heavy. And you are severely limited on tire size.

In short I cannot think of any good reason to use a bonnet carrier short of thrift. And even then, the best idea is still to store the spare in the truck bed because you will not have ruined a perfectly good bonnet.
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Spanner110
I
1993 Defender Pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Ouch. that one hurt considering I have/am making a swing away not to mention Rockware has what I think is a great design for a swing away. Mantec mount close to the rear door putting stress on the tub far and away from the corner cappings where as other designs either put the carrier hinge point close to the corner or all the weight on the crossmember.
Oops, sorry didn't mean to insult you Though if you are making your own then if you are like me it will be built properly I'm sure.
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
In short I cannot think of any good reason to use a bonnet carrier short of thrift. And even then, the best idea is still to store the spare in the truck bed because you will not have ruined a perfectly good bonnet.
Ah but what about that classic Land Rover look? Seriously though, some of us have both a bonnet mount and a rear swing away for when you need two spare wheels and all your interior space. Safari in northern Kenya anyone? But it is true that the bonnet is weak and you'll look for reasons not to open it when a spare is on top (and you'll need two people to get it off without denting the bonnet, either that or have an upper body like Ahnold.) Around the wilds of NYC I risk carrying just one spare and I keep it on a Mantec swingaway, which I have found to be excellent, no distortion of my tub even after days of pounding corrugated roads in Africa.

Cheers,
John
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have chequer plating on my bonnet with the proper LR tire mount kit for a few years now. I have not had any metal damage at all in my bonnet with this setup, although there has been a little paint cracking around the rear rivet line near the hinges from flexing. I walk on my bonnet ALL the time for roof rack access. I also don't really have an issue with lifting my bonnet. I've added external military bonnet latches and only retain the internal bonnet latch cable for security, but next time radiator is out, I'm yanking that.
I love my tire on my bonnet. My CB antenna is mounted on my bull bar on the far right that helps me with my only blind spot at that corner. I have 255/85/16's

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

no worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner110 View Post
Oops, sorry didn't mean to insult you Though if you are making your own then if you are like me it will be built properly I'm sure.
No insult taken whatsoever. just ribbing the post.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier