Rear SW Door Prop - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Rear SW Door Prop

Has anyone devised a way to keep the rear SW door open when parked off camber?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
not with a spare on the door. On my green 110 I had what the brits called an Africa spec spare tire carrier and that would hold the door open. It was similar to a mantec carrier but would hold the door open when pushed to the fully opn position

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My door is pretty damn heavy with a 35" spare, Hi-Lift, 4 gal of water, and 4 gallons of fuel! All that weight is on a Mantec carrier, but it doesn't lock in the open position.

I know there is some genius out there who has solved this issue....

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Mud UK has that pneumatic door mod now

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:57 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Mud Uk has a replacement for the hinge that is a piston... not sure if that would be enough pressure, but maybe worth looking into. There was a guy across the pond (I think from Germany) who was a big time overlander with his own website, etc. If I remember correctly, he had a metal rod that swung down from a hinge that was mounted on the inside of the rear door panel. when down, it kind of acted like a kickstand for a bike.
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I have the same issue.
Haven't solved it yet, am not a genius and have no engineering backround or fab shop, but the first thing that comes to mind is finding a HD gas-filled strut (similar to what keeps the hood open on a big american P/U and figuring out the proper way to mount it (top-side) to at least assist in opening or to keep it from slamming shut.

Also, I bet a simple catch bar on the bottom would work as well. You could have a piece of angle iron water-jet cut to accept a rod that slid into a few different positions along the slot. The 3/8" rod would mout via a pivot on the door and the slot-cut angle iron along the wheel-well on the tub. (am I articulating this right or should I sketch a picture?)

Wolf, if you made a run of these, I'd be in the front of the line to buy one.
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am looking at ways to fabricate something, but trying to keep it simple and unubtrusive.

Semper Fi!
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
wish I had CAD.
do you know what I mean?
sorta like a rod that will be spring-loaded from the bottom and "find" its way into a few positions automatically.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	58076  
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
wish I had CAD.
do you know what I mean?
sorta like a rod that will be spring-loaded from the bottom and "find" its way into a few positions automatically.
Not following you, but something in the stock location that locks in several positions.

I am sure there is something already made for cabinents or truck tool boxes that can be retrofitted. I'll poke around McMaster-Carr.

Here's the MudUK solution, but there's no way it would keep my door open:
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Defender%2...%20Strut.shtml

Semper Fi!
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
THe gas strut mounted on the top of door would be pretty trick also, but would be vehicle/load specific and also if the truck were facing uphill, gravity and the strut would knock you on your ass when you opened the door (unless you are an immovable object like Doug) !
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Here's the solution:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-springs/=jgklp1

It's a locking gas strut and could go in the stock location with some minor adaption.

Semper Fi!
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Not following you, but something in the stock location that locks in several positions.

I am sure there is something already made for cabinents or truck tool boxes that can be retrofitted. I'll poke around McMaster-Carr.

Here's the MudUK solution, but there's no way it would keep my door open:
that solution would probably work for me because I only have a standard-sized spare, but again, it doesn't help when the truck is facing up a hill (it would work against you). Still, I'd consider getting eth MUD-UK solution for myself.

I guess what I was thinking was a simple 3/8" rod bent like in the shitty illustration that mounts to a pivot on the door end and the rod slides through a receiving slot on the tub end with different locked positions. (think of crappy lawn tractor gear shifter or deck position gates). the weight/force of the door would force the rod into the "gates".
You could cut the gates so that they angle towards the front of the truck so that the rods hold into position better and somehow spring-load the rod so that you have to manually lock the rod into the slots by pulling up on it.......

That's the first thought I had if we're having a brain-storming session. Feel free to shoot holes in it, it's only what came to mind immediately.
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Now I understand what you getting at. That idea is simple and cheap.

Semper Fi!
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Here's the solution:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-springs/=jgklp1

It's a locking gas strut and could go in the stock location with some minor adaption.
yes, that would be a lot tighter looking than some ugly peice of angle iron cut with slots that I was talking about.
Couple of questions though:
-what happens when you're facing up hill and the strut forces the door open along with gravity?
-where would you mount the release lever?
-Do you have to hold the release lever when opening AND closing, or just closing?
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
When pointing up hill you just have to use man-strength to open the door and not kill yourself. The locking struts have a lock knob you pull to release it from the open position, you don't have to hold it when opening or closing.

Semper Fi!
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I just use a shovel
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:43 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Soft top doors have this v shaped bracket with a rubber end in it, and the tire carrier has a metal rod with an almost arrow head that goes into it when it's fully opened, and then secures it open.

My vocabulary sucks this morning, but you can probably find better pics of it by searching soft top tire carriers or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1283336493.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	58079  
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Soft top doors have this v shaped bracket with a rubber end in it, and the tire carrier has a metal rod with an almost arrow head that goes into it when it's fully opened, and then secures it open.

My vocabulary sucks this morning, but you can probably find better pics of it by searching soft top tire carriers or something.
Yeah, I had a ST so I know what you are talking about. I don't think that's strong enough.

Semper Fi!
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:45 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce
We already discussed that above. It's not strong enough.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door