Defender Source Forum banner

Rear Step Bumper Bolt Size

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  evilfij 
#1 ·
So, as most of you know, there are two tubes attached to the rear step bumper that slide through the cross member and a bolt goes into these tubes from under the vehicle. One of mine broke off when I removed the bumper, and try as I might, I have not been able to get the broken piece out of the hole. This is surprising as I have drilled clear through it, and there is not much stuck in there, but it sure has a grip!

Anyway, as a last resort I am about to drill it out and re-tap the hole, but I don't know what size & thread the bolt is. Naturally the parts catalog doesn't tell you (that would be way too easy). The BMW catalog always gives the bolt size and thread, but LR never does :angry

Anyway, if anyone knows what size it is, that would be most helpful, otherwise I am going to have to figure it out myself, which isn't easy since I don't have a thread gauge that will fit in the hole, and I don't have the other bolt that i removed any longer.

Thank you for your help!

#2 ·
What size are the bolts that hold the rear bumper on? There are the two from the rear and it looks like there are several that bolt from the bottom into the threaded holes in the cross member. I no longer have the old bolts and need to install the bumper. Does anyone know what thread size they are?

#3 ·
They are normal metric (well, the ones in my new bolt stash fit fine), but I forget which sizes specifically. I believe most were 12.9, but I don't see why 8.8 would not work.

Not much help other than to say they are nothing special. Now, the big washers that go in the end of the tubes, those are special.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.