Rear speaker housing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Rear speaker housing

I ordered a pair of LenB's rear speaker housing. I have 4 jump seats in the back and was wondering if I will have to remove the back two jump seats to install the new speaker box. It looks lke it is really close to the seat bracket. If I have to remove the seats, how much of a pain in the ass is that? Anybody with the jump seats ever have any experience replacing the speaker boxes? Any help would be great.

http://americandirtroads.com/catrearspeakerbox.html#

Thanks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have a 110, but I'm sure our spacing back there is the same with respect to the jump seats. the seats are pretty simple to remove/install, although if you don't have a second set of hands, your going to have to substitute with some vice grips, to hold the nuts underneath the floor when you loosen/tighten.

As for speaker box spacing, looking at the link you sent, your going to have to choose one or the other. You won't have space for it with those rear most jump seats. my recommendation is to look for a flush mount (as depicted in ECR's recent 110 mod) or go with speakers mounted in the headliner above.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

I feel like a idiot. I should have looked closer before I ordered these. I have about 2 inches to work with. Any chance I would be able to trim the boxes down to cut down on the depth of the box. I have a soft top so I wo't be able to mount them up high. The boxes that are in there now aren't holding the speakers in anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2007, 05:01 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Man I would think those things would be twangy, make sure you dynamat the inside of them.
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:55 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I was able to get my speaker housings out without removing the rear jumpseats but it was a PITA. No room and had to flex the housings so much I thought they'd break. I removed the jumpseats before re-installing the housings - made it much easier. Removing the jump seats is not difficult. You may not even have to completely remove the jump seat back....
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I say remove the two rear seats and sell them cheap...$100...I could take them off your hands!!!
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:04 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I have a set of Len's speakerboxes and although I have not installed them, after a few dry fits, I am definately planning on a little trimming/notching to get them in there a little tighter. I also plan to use some scrap dynomat on the insides as well. I will post pics once it warms up enough that I get them installed.
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Matt,
Do you have jump seats in the back of you 110? Pictrues would be great once you get them installed.

Thanks

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:26 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Mike,
No seats back there for me.
Matt
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Well once I get them I may try to see if there are going to work with some trimming. Matt, do you think there is any chance I will get them to fit with some cutting? If not I'll post them for sale for someone with a bench seat.
Thanks for all of the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions