Rear Spare Tyre Carrier Noises??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 18th, 2004, 04:10 AM
adibitar
Adi Bitar
2001/ TD5 90 Defender

Angry Rear Spare Tyre Carrier Noises???

I have a TD5 soft top and the rear spare tyre holder in making a lot of noise. It clunks nearly on every little bumb I go over or even when i brake slightyl. The middle piece from the back door which swivels for the door to open is loose and is the main problem with the noise how can I tighten it. I tried to tighten the bolts on the swivel but would not work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Adi, I have fought with that same problem for years. I just figured out how to fix it. If your rear set up is the same as a North American version I have the fix. Do not tighten that piece. The problem is with the black rubber stop (or lack of one) on the bar closest to the door. Find any type of rubber stopper (I used a chair leg foot). Attach it so that when you close the door there is a good bit of pressure on that piece. If there is good pressure, that should fix the rattles!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d90.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	531  
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:01 AM
adibitar
Adi Bitar
2001/ TD5 90 Defender

Thanks very much.. Really appreciate it... will definately try this today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

On myine I found that I could tighten up and grease the loose rear door hinges as well as grease the fittings on swing away tire carrier. The lubes took out a lot of movement and there fore the noise too.

Larry
Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:30 AM
RPR
Richard Reavey
1979 SIII 88" SSW

Adi,

If you're lazy (like I was) take it to AAA in Garhoud and they will do up a latch mount to the door - no more bouncing or rattling (in the unlikely event you dont't know it, it's first left off the bridge down to the first big set of lights - across from Festival city? there's a tyre place and offroad mod shop on the inland corner - then second left by the big abandoned warehouse and the Al-Futain bldg, then third right and you'll see the recovery trucks and the sign for AAA) Mine was a Pivlock but the principle is the same. The shag is that it's no longer an automatic swing away - you have to unlatch first. But nothing worked on the gatch tracks until I did this and the bouncing on the washboards was so bad it was starting to put unhealthy strain on the lower swing hinge. They charged me about AED 120 as I recall....

How's the end of the season going in Dubai? I understand that they have now really expanded the fencing around Al-Maha and that that whole area from the other side of Big Red down to Madam and out to Al-Maha has been realy shrunk
Revolver/Parabolic Extreme Suspension
UK/Dubai/KL/US
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:06 AM
adibitar
Adi Bitar
2001/ TD5 90 Defender

Hey... Thanks for your input and reply,

The end of the season is here and here comes the boring summer, but it was okay. And yes the dessert is shriking in these parts of the world. So I see you know a lot about Dubai.

Well thanks again for your reply I will pay this shop a visit.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:58 PM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Bumper design

I went to Carquest auto parts store and got a fairly generic shock absorber bushing. Looks like it would fit most American cars. Anyway it is a brand name of "Help".

I found that taking a piece of 1/2" heater hose and screwing it onto the bolt that mounts the bumper piece and then slipping this bushing onto that very tight fitting mount works perfect and looks like a factory install. I decided to take it off and shave the base a little because it stuck out too much and put a little too much pressure on the tire rack. I had to be sure to have the piece of heater hose short enough that it allowed the head of the mounting bolt to recess into the bushing so that it did not impact the tire carrier when it closed.

So what you end up with in essence is the stubby piece of heater hose is bolted in place and retained by the head of the bolt and the bushing is simply press fit onto it very tightly. It will not fall off and if I ever need to replace this piece I will simply need to pull the bushing straight off and push another into place. Brilliant!! Unfortunately I cannot take all of the credit for this as the guy at Carquest came up with the idea of a hose piece inside.

This is one very slick looking and stout replacement piece. Cost me $3.75. The stiffness and compressability of the rubber of this bushing seems absolutely perfect for this.

I highly recommend this if you are having any slop/rattle in the rack.I also greased up the fittings on the hinge points this takes out some more mechanical slop in each joint and thus the rattle as well.

If this write up is unclear I could take some pix and send them to anyone interested.

Larry
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:49 PM
popsdaddy
Richard Werner
'95 Defender 90

Smile

Larry,

If you could post some pics, it would be greatly appreciated!

Using a "wad" of duct tape right now!

Rich

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, spare