Rear seatbelt Q's - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

Rear seatbelt Q's

My son is big enough to move to a booster seat and now I'm in need of a set of rear belts for a forward facing bench. The truck has lap belts now and works great for a child seat but not for a booster. My questions are:
1. Are kits still available from Rover or do I need to look aftermarket?
2. Is a 4 point harness safe/safer for road travel?
3. Is a 4 point legal?
4. Can the belts from a similar truck(jeep) be used?
5. Does anyone out there have a set to sell or trade?

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2005, 03:07 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have shoulder belts in the rear of my 90 and I thought that was what they all have, I would think that would be your best bet. I would not do the harness thing, if you were in an accident you want the kiddos to be able to unbuckle themselves and a harness can be hard to get undone. I would try RDS first, if he doesn't have any I know Rovers North does but they are $$$, you may be able to find someone on the forum who is selling theres.
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:49 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
I I would not do the harness thing, if you were in an accident you want the kiddos to be able to unbuckle themselves and a harness can be hard to get undone. .
My kids love the 4 point harness, and it's much easier to unbuckle than factory seatbelt as the buckle is right on their lab where the stock unit it on their left where sometimes the booster seat gets in the way. The only problem with the harness is you need to teach your kid not to pull on it till you say so, since my kids did it once each but never again. If you were to go with rear harnesses get the junior harness not the adult. If you want to go with stock, I heard a disco I seat belt should work but thatís all I know
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2005, 04:30 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Sean, assuming you have a rear cage and the mounting point for the seat belts behind the rear speakers then the d1 seat belts will work. the color odf the webing is differenct and there is a small notch on the mounting bracket so the bracket stands straight up and down.
If the truck had shoulder harnesses before your probally all set.
Old November 30th, 2005, 04:42 PM
dfscott
Daryl Scott
1994 Defender

I'm going to install seat belts in my 1994 D90. There currently are none. Is it possible and does it make sense to install shoulder belts? I don't suppose intertial shoulder belts would work since the passengers are sideways. Would the shoulder belts offer any added protection over lap belts in the event of a collision if the passengers are sideways? I couldn't find a kit to install the mounting bracket. Any advice on whether shoulder belts in a D90 with jumpseats can be installed and make sense? Daryl Scott
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:40 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Daryl, do you have a rear cage?

If so remove the rear speaker box and see if you have a braket to bolt the seat belts to.

If you do then you can use the seat belts out of a D1.

You will have to drill a hole in the inner fender well for an anchor.

Make sure you use grade 8 bolts and heavy washers or even better a heavy steel backing plate.

I have used the shoulder belts with inward facing seats.

They will work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seatbelt