Rear Seat Straps on D-90 Wagons - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2004, 06:39 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Lightbulb Rear Seat Straps on D-90 Wagons

As I would imagine is the case with many wagons and 110's the rear seat straps had began to fray.

When faced with paying 14 bucks or more a piece for "genuine" replacements which are no longer the heavy sewn ones as in original, but are now Nylon (which is probably better) I figured there has to be a more cost effective solution. . Unfortunately, the new one stands out from the rest so all had to be changed. 60 bucks for nylon is insane.

To some I am sure this not an issue. However, As long as you have the clips (which have usually been pulled out or frayed) they can be easily fabricated in minutes.

The brand utility strap I found was "Coghlans" available at any ACE hardware, which matches the current LR part exact. Just use a soldering iron to burn the holes to specs and press in the clip you removed from the old.

The clip prongs can be lifted using a small screw driver and straightened with needle nose. You can then work the prongs into the new strap (centered on your new hole) by placing on padded or carpeted surface pressing down.

Note: I used a new genuine part for the specs shown. The nylon straps are a bit shorter than the original cloth to allow for stretching

Perfect match - I attached an image

Total cost $2.49 with plenty of extra strap to spare

Oh, dont forget to heat the ends of the new strap with a lighter to "seal" the ends and prevent fraying.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	straps2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1666   Click image for larger version

Name:	seats_up.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1667  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2004, 01:42 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

I just bought mine it has tattered straps some are missing the metal part would they sell that at home depot or would i have to order it
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:05 PM
thug1313
Brian Ellis
Sold it!

Hey I noticed a thing in your second picture that I must inquire about. I have something lacking on my seat bottoms. It appears the 'U' shaped seat bottom bar has something that holds the bar to the seat bottom when the seats are stowed. I see something bright and shiny in your photo right at the bottom center of the "U".

My bars swing freely every time I round a corner. Some squeak, others bang against the seat bottoms. It's not a big deal, just annoying. My 4 seat bottoms all have holes in the fiberboard that appear to have had something there before, perhaps to hold the bar in place while the seat is stowed.

What I am wondering is, I know the straps are to hold the seat cushion snugly stowed, but is there a 'stay' that secures those bars from swinging loosley? Any insight?

You took the perfect photo of your stowed seats that reminded me to ask somebody about mine.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2004, 04:00 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
on my 95 I dont have any kinda of clips to hold the support's but mine dont move around when i drive, they stay put when the seats are folded.
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

There is just a rubber bumper to keep the "U" off the board. I dont use the straps to hold the "U" brackets They mount up real snug and have some tension on them. If your are moving freely I would take one side off and spread it a bit and then re-mount. The pressure should hold the U bracket in place. Does on mine.

Not sure if those clips are available local. Someone on board might know. UK?
I was missing one and thats why I ordered 1 strap and fab'd rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:09 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I think Larry just said it, but I strap over the U, rather than under it, as in the pic above. Keeps the legs in nice and tight, no swinging.
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:20 PM
thug1313
Brian Ellis
Sold it!

Cheers, mate!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90