Rear Seat positions & options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2011, 11:50 AM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

Question Rear Seat positions & options

Morning,

I currently don't have any back seats in my ST D90... I was looking at options to add 2 additions seats.

I've attached a pic of 6 or so options, looking down on the back of the truck, using a single bench or 2 jump seats at different possitions.

Any ideas on best setup?

I'm thinking not to put 2 jump seats across eachother.. so that leg room isn't affected.

Random suggestions are welcomed Just want to see what people have wished they had done or not done.

Thanks,

~Ji
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D90_Seats.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	39237  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2011, 11:58 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
If you only need 2 seats I think a bench would be the safest setup. But I can see wanting to use jump seats for how they fold up and do not take up much room. One of these days I will have some time and fabricate up a nice setup for the rear but until then I will just use the 3 jump seats I have now.

Out of your choices, I would pick C for the following reasons:
  1. If you get hit from behind the passengers are closer to the center of the vehicle, which I would guess be safer.
  2. You can put storage/speaker boxes on the rear corners - easy access from the rear door to get at stuff.
  3. You will be closer to the passengers to talk/listen to them more easily.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
What about mounting the bench in a rear facing configuration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:20 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
B & C will give you best cargo and passenger options ... leg room issues are more than offset by the cool factor of inward facing seats! ;-)
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I went with option F. I find that having seperate seats allows more flexibility for cargo and passenger in the rear, versus all one or other with a bench. I keep a fridge and storage items on opposite (driver) side at all times.
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:37 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Do you plan on putting kids back there?

Long trips or short?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:56 AM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
B & C will give you best cargo and passenger options ... leg room issues are more than offset by the cool factor of inward facing seats! ;-)

HAHA.. COOL factor.. def one of the big reasons I put up with all the break downs and money I spend on her.

No kids... and I use my d90 as my daily... so I use it for long and short trips.

I think I'm gonna go with a middle ground between C & D...

Love the jump seat look.. and C is a little too close, so 10" or so from C towards center.

And the note about safety, getting rear ended... also a good point I feel.

But the final position will come when I get the seats and drop them in and see what looks/feels right.

Speaking of which, anyone have 2 jump seats?

Thanks all!

~Ji
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:11 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Exmoor makes a forward facing folding jump seat, I think they're the best option for occasional seating. I just sold a set, I was going to put them in the 110 but decided I don't want back seat passenger space. One passenger is enough, I want plenty of room for gear and to sleep.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
Exmoor makes a forward facing folding jump seat, I think they're the best option for occasional seating. I just sold a set, I was going to put them in the 110 but decided I don't want back seat passenger space. One passenger is enough, I want plenty of room for gear and to sleep.
I would love to look into this option but I haven't seen any of them available in the US. Unless I would need to order them straight from Exmoor.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I would love to look into this option but I haven't seen any of them available in the US. Unless I would need to order them straight from Exmoor.
Exmoor doesn't sell direct to public. You could order from Bearmach or Defender Trim in the UK, but given shipping costs, you might as well call RN. They can special order everything in the Exmoor catalog, even though they don't show it all in their catalog.

http://www.defendertrim.co.uk/index....emart&Itemid=3
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I did the reverse "A". I put 2 jump seats behind the driver's seat so as not to affect my field of view off-road (if I want to look back to that side) and I put a Troy box for grear over the wheel behind the passenger seat. I like having the cargo area open.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijalicious View Post
But the final position will come when I get the seats and drop them in and see what looks/feels right.
I was wondering about this. I didn't want to say anything but your usable dimensions look off in those drawings and it might affect your decision to see them more realistic. I can take some measurements if you want to show them to scale.

charles
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:20 PM
nwp
Nathan Patterson
1994 D-90

I have mine in the C configuration but I had a buddy sit in there and it felt like he was right up on me. I think you're on the right track putting them in then deciding. Maybe the D config. Think about speaker/tool box mounts. ECR has some nice pics of that. I have two new jump seats and seat belts....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions