Rear Seat Belt Mounts? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2016, 04:07 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Rear Seat Belt Mounts?

So, was there a difference in the angle of the Rear Seat Belt Inertia Reels from '94 to '95? I removed my original 1995 Speaker boxes that covered these up, and took the back seat out oh, 19 years ago or so, and installed the flush speaker boxes from a '94 Defender, to gain storage space (And because I was afraid of breaking the originals) when packing the back up for wheeling/camping trips.

But now that I want to reinstall the rear seatbelts, the Inertia reels won't fit next to the '94 speaker boxes (And as much as I hate saying it, I no longer have the originals). So at the moment it seems like its speaker or seat belts, but not both..

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2016, 04:29 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

It might have to do with the fact that the roll bar piece that connects the rear crossmember to the bottom of the c-pillar is a 2-piece deal in 95/97 instead of the 1-piece in 94. I think they put the seatbelt mount in a different spot when they made that change.
Old June 28th, 2016, 04:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Yeah there are a few issues. The 1994s were 2 piece from the C pillar to the chassis and curved inward more than the 1995's 1997s. The speaker boxes from the 1994s were smaller and moved the speakers closer to the rear-center of the vehicle, while the 1995-97 speaker boxes were larger and came out further from the rear of the vehicle but also closer to the sides of the tub.

1994 tub with 1994 speaker boxes and exposed seatbelt reels:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2016, 10:24 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for the photo Josh. The Seat Belt Reels are definitely oriented differently, mine are angled inward, not 'flat' with the back wall like those in the photo, so I guess I am SOL and choosing one or the other till I can find replacements for my lost '95 speaker boxes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:58 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

I have a pair from a 97 ST in "less than perfect" condition that I could sell you. PM me your email address and I'll send you some pics and a price.
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:02 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

on the 1994 the belts bolt to a piece of angle iron that is bolted to the wheel well on the 1995 and 1997 they are bolted to the cage that ties into the c pillar
2 different bolt on applications
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:48 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ten View Post
I have a pair from a 97 ST in "less than perfect" condition that I could sell you. PM me your email address and I'll send you some pics and a price.
Sent you a PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
on the 1994 the belts bolt to a piece of angle iron that is bolted to the wheel well on the 1995 and 1997 they are bolted to the cage that ties into the c pillar
2 different bolt on applications
Ah, well that makes more sense then, I had assumed it was just a different mounting position on the cage. Either Way, the two are not going to play together..

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount