Rear seat belt install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 10th, 2011, 05:07 PM
apierce
Adam Pierce
'95 D90 ST #2395

Rear seat belt install

I installed a rear bench seat in my ST and purchased a used set of factory seat belts. The problem is the belts seem to be fully retracted and locked so i can't get them pulled out enough to install them (much less use them if they were!). Did i get bad belts or is there some locking mechanism that can be released that i am missing? I must admit, i'm a little hesitant to go pulling the seat belt mechanism apart...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Adam, this usually means the belt needs to get retracted a little more to unlock. If you can't feed more belt back in, then undo one of the mounts (whichever is easiest) and then let a little more retract. If you have slack in the belt then the position of the spool also seems to make a difference so try get it as vertical as possible and jiggle the belt.

If getting more belt slack works, then consider raising the lower mount by the seat to give the belt more room to retract as it will happen again. And there is nothing worse than it happening when you want to belt in a kid and roll.
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:23 PM
apierce
Adam Pierce
'95 D90 ST #2395

Thanks for the reply. I will try that, but it is pretty much fully retracted. Is there a release lever that you are aware of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2011, 08:35 PM
muhley
matt
110 300 tdi

Just went through this putting my seat belts back in. When they wad up on the spool you have to slack them off a little bit just like cgalpin said then they must be PERFECTLY VERTICAL. Pull them out and no problem. There is no release lever. I tore the side off of the spool to discover this. It makes it a lot easier to see the insides to understand how it works but do it as described and you should have no problems.
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM
apierce
Adam Pierce
'95 D90 ST #2395

Thanks for the help. Will give it a try this weekend.
Old May 31st, 2011, 02:52 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I just installed new belts this weekend for my bench seat as both of the rollers on the old ones broke and were basically useless.

With seatbelts, when you pull them very fast (simulate crash) the spool moves forward a little which forces a metal w-shaped piece above the spool to "lock" into the belt that is exiting the mechanism, stopping anymore forward movement of a passenger. When the belts are fully rolled up/spooled, it has the same effect on that metal spring piece, as it pushes upward on it which lock belt from exiting any further.

What you have to do is unroll the belt spool from the bottom, as the actual spool is not locked, but the belt exiting the seatbelt mechanism is. Once you get about 2-3 feet unspooled, the metal piece should loosen off of the belt and it should now work properly. Don't let the belt roll all the way back in and this should not happen again.
Old May 31st, 2011, 02:55 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Horsey

How did you get the speaker housings apart?
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:02 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhley View Post
they must be PERFECTLY VERTICAL
This.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:08 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Mine actually didn't have to be perfectly vertical to get them to work or unspool. I remembered Charles saying that...but that wasn't the problem in my case. I had wasted about 10-15 minutes trying to bring them to vertical to unlock them until I realized I should try to unspool from the inside instead of out outside of the seatbelt mechanism. I refound this thread by searching "vertical" by cgalpin actually.

Barry they were easy to remove, except for one screw which I had previously stripped in the first week of ownership using a screwdriver that was too narrow. Just a knife to score a small outline around the pod and it came right out.
Old May 31st, 2011, 04:05 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Good you got them out. Would have sucked to break them as you can't buy new

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions