Rear Seat Belt Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 7th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Rear Seat Belt Help

I just got the rear bench seat mounted, along with 66% of the rear 3-point seat belts. Can anyone give me an idea of what the top (C Pillar or Rear Roll Cage) mounting point should look like? I see a sleeve going into the pillar and what looks like threads that a bolt would go into, but they're shifted.

Can I access it from the back side? I can feel a cut out on the back of the passenger side, but not the drivers, and I don't want to pull the top because its 0F here.

Any help appreciated.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Andrew,

The tech section has the instructions for installing a rear seat. Included are some diagrams that may answer your questions.

http://www.defendersource.com/tech/d90seat.pdf
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Yep, I saw that and it really helped with the seat install. One of the pics kind of shows what the threaded sleeve looks like, but it looks like mine has slipped.

I guess another way to ask the question would be, how far back in the hole do the threads start?

Thanks, Kip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Doesn't anyone remember what the mount looks like?
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You are talking about picture A on page 5 of tat PDF right? You can't stick a screwdriver in the hole and push it back into position?
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Yes, that's it. I can't get the threads to move over, but I think I can feel an access on the back of the passenger side. I don't want to take the top off, because I may not be able to get it back on in zero degree weather.

I suppose I should just try moving that over again, eh?
Old February 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Andrew,

In trying to understand what your issue is, I went out to my truck and removed the parts on the cage you are referring to. Here is what my cage has, and it is the same year as yours (1995).

Referencing exploded view Box "A" of Figure 5, page 5 of the rear seat and seat belt kit installation instructions, the items include (viewed moving right to left):

1.) Bolt - Mine is a A2 8.0, which fits a 17mm six point socket. Bolt length is 6 cm. I did not check thread pitch.

2.) Seat belt upper bracket.

3.) Sleeve - Mine is 4 cm. total lenght, with 32 mm. length for the larger diameter section of the sleeve.

The sleeve is not threaded, just smooth boared and fits into the padded part of the cage until it is flush with the metal tounge. The threaded section looks like it is part of the horizontal bar. The threaded part is 2 cm. long and does not go all the way through the padded part of the cage, so taking your soft top off will not buy you anything. It is 70 degrees here, just so you know.

I think you just have an alignment issue that is not allowing you to get the threads lined up to start the bolt. I would guess that you need to gently wedge between the c pillar and the horizontal member so that you can line up the hole. I used a light to check out the threaded section after I removed the sleeve. You should be able to do the same thing to see what the alignment needs to be.

If I am missing something or misunderstood what you are stuck on, please let me know so I can take another kick at the can.

Cheers.
Old February 9th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Hoss:

I think you're right on! I'll give it a whirl this weekend, but everything you say makes sense. Trying to align the hole wasn't working, but if it is the cross member, I should be able to jockey it into position.

I may owe you a beer!
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Andrew,

In my experience, the horizontal cross member is either too low or needs to be pushed further towards the front of the truck so that it is aligned. I would recommend taking the sleeve out of the cage and getting a flash light or appropriate light source so you can look inside the hole. You will see the frame pieces that need to line up. Then just thread the bolt without the sleeve to see the interaction.

The cage should not be too hard to move a little. I think you will get it once you put an eye ball on it and see how it lines up best.

I am off the beer until football season starts again, so you'll have to spill an extra one for me if you get the bolt to behave.

Best of luck.
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

It looked shoved towards the front on one side, and opposite the other. This should work and I'll post up. Thank you very much for figuring out what the hell I was saying.

I can wait till next football season, no problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions