Rear propshaft options for 1983 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

Rear propshaft options for 1983 110

OK, the truck in question is a 1983 110 with a V8 and LT95.

While performing some routine maintenance the other day, I noticed some play in the U-joints on the rear propshaft. OK, not a big deal. I'll get some new ones and change them out, no problem. However, I also found some play in the slip joint. It has some noticeable movement from side to side (see photo). This is a bit beyond me, as I don't think that's something serviceable by a home mechanic, or is it?

So I'm looking to replace the whole shaft and be done with it. Some quick checking shows that my truck is equiped with an early style propshaft, part #FRC2980. This part is still available from some UK vendors.

There is another propshaft, part #FRC8389, that was introduced at a VIN number range much later than my truck. I'm going to guess this was introduced with the LT85 gearbox. Anyway, this appears to be the rear shaft that Land Rover stuck with until the mid 90's, as it is available from several vendors here in the States. Judging by photos of the part, it looks quite a bit beefier than the old type on my truck.

All this leads up to my question: Does anyone know if the later style propshaft will fit my early truck with the LT95? I'd rather go with the new style, stronger looking unit, but want to make sure it will fit! I'd hate to buy one, and then find out it's too long or two short, or some other issue.

Thanks!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0979b.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	30042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2010, 03:11 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoleman762 View Post
I'd rather go with the new style, stronger looking unit, but want to make sure it will fit! I'd hate to buy one, and then find out it's too long or two short, or some other issue.
I can't answer your question...and yet feel compelled to reply ...

I managed to twist the rear drive-shaft in the Disco into a reasonable imitation of a peppermint stick a while back.

I took it to the local Big Truck drive-line shop and the nice young man there made me a new one with actual "normal" u-joints!

I think they're 1310 .... 1410 ... brain fade....

He looked at the flanges and said "Willys" or something and didn't give a hoot that I said Land Rover.

Just an alternative for you.
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:13 AM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman

Thanks for the reply nonetheless!

The problem is that my "local" driveline shop is easily an hour and a half away. I live waay out in the sticks. Our "town" doesn't even have a gas station.

As such, I rely heavily on mail order, otherwise it's a bunch of time and gas money to get anything. If I go the custom route, I might as well get a GBR shaft (which has crossed my mind).

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone knew off the top of their head if the two part numbers were interchangeable. Rovahfarm is actually close by, so I'll see if Trevor has one of the newer type in stock that I can examine, and maybe test-fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Ahhh, I know the feeling.

Good luck and "hi" to Trevor. We traded phone calls last week.

KAA
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:22 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Have you examined the condition of the splines? Do they look worn or damaged? I ask because I have noticed some shafts have a plastic coating of some sort on the splines and I am wondering if maybe that's all yours needs to tighten up the fit if they don't actually look damaged or any worse for wear?
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:18 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman

I haven't pulled the shaft yet, as I have other work on the truck planned for this weekend. I should be able to yank it next week and take a close look. Hmm...plastic coating eh? I'll have to look for that.
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:58 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I'm pretty sure the newer style will fit. There shouldn't be any difference in length or bolt pattern. I went from a LT95 to a 5spd and LT230 in my 110 and kept my original driveshaft without any issues.
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:18 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover View Post
I'm pretty sure the newer style will fit. There shouldn't be any difference in length or bolt pattern. I went from a LT95 to a 5spd and LT230 in my 110 and kept my original driveshaft without any issues.
Sorry to hijack but which 5 speed did you end up using? I have an LT95 and thinking about using a different tranny. Thanks

Mike, it's pretty easy to pull the propshaft apart. Unscrew the collar and pull apart. Just make sure you mark both ends before pulling apart for proper alignment later when you put it back together. Here's a picture if it helps.

Wait a minute, that picture you posted looks like a front propshaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0017_2.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	30091  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Mike, I have a new and never used GBR DC-drive shaft I will sell you if you want to go that route. If so, send me the length of yours so we can be sure it will fit.

Clay
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I used a new LT77s and a low mileage early model RRC LT230 w/drilled input gear because I had them. I kept my driveshafts. It all bolts together.
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I may have a decent lt95 rear shaft

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman

Well now, this thread really took off this morning! Thanks for the responses guys!

LRover - Thanks for the info. I was hoping they would be the same, but with the LT95 being a bit of an oddball, early gearbox, I was guessing that the measurements would be off. Good to hear it's the same!

Clay - Hmm...that's something for me to think about, thanks for the offer. I'll get back with you once I examine this thng, and figure out what route I'm going to go.

Doug - Ditto! Thanks for the offer, and I may take you up on it.

Forrest - Yep, that's my rear driveshaft. Hence why I wouldn't mind upgrading to something a bit beefier! The parts manual shows that the early drive shafts used the smaller U-joints, and this shaft certainly looks like it would fit the bill. That's why I'm guessing it's the early factory driveshaft. Plus it doen't look like any of the photos of the new style that I've seen. It could also be a custom made UK replacement I guess, but it seems to have the same amount of wear as the rest of the truck, so I think it's an original part.

I'm busy this weekend with finishing some paint touch-up, installing new suspension, and starting to mess about with installing middle row seat belts. I'll try to fit removing this propshaft into the "schedule", but I don't multitask very well at all.

Thanks a bunch guys. More photos when I take it apart....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0985.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	30092  
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:34 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoleman762 View Post
....Forrest - Yep, that's my rear driveshaft. Hence why I wouldn't mind upgrading to something a bit beefier! The parts manual shows that the early drive shafts used the smaller U-joints, and this shaft certainly looks like it would fit the bill. That's why I'm guessing it's the early factory driveshaft. Plus it doen't look like any of the photos of the new style that I've seen. It could also be a custom made UK replacement I guess, but it seems to have the same amount of wear as the rest of the truck, so I think it's an original part.
Crap, maybe mine is the wrong one. You can see in the pictures both of my shafts and the rear one definitely does not have that screw collar. Hmmm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	548.1 KB
ID:	30094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	30095  

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If it just has a little play in the splines, it should be fine for quite a while. Just keep it greased and if it does not clunk or vibe it should be ok. My understanding is that LT95 shafts are different from LT77/2.25/2.5/200tdi and are different from LT85/LT77/R380 V8 and 300Tdi.
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
thats correct a 300 shaft doesn't work in a 2.5na or 200 tdi.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 14th, 2010, 03:19 AM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Crap, maybe mine is the wrong one. You can see in the pictures both of my shafts and the rear one definitely does not have that screw collar. Hmmm.
Thanks for those photos! That looks like the "newer" type, part number FRC8389. At least that looks the same as the part I see in vendor photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
If it just has a little play in the splines, it should be fine for quite a while. Just keep it greased and if it does not clunk or vibe it should be ok. My understanding is that LT95 shafts are different from LT77/2.25/2.5/200tdi and are different from LT85/LT77/R380 V8 and 300Tdi.
The play in the slip joint isn't horrible or anything, but it's noticeable. None of the other shafts in the rest of my trucks have any play in them whatsoever, so this struck me as something to look into. I have just a bit of vibration, which could be from any number of things. New U-joints might be enough to clear that up, or it could be from this slip joint. Hard to say.

I just like the idea of sticking something a bit stronger under there, as that propshaft seems a bit wimpy to me for such a big truck.
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:31 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It only gets half the power 99% of the time because of the full time 4x4. No vibes with new U-joints and I would leave it and wait for someone doing a conversion on an LT95 truck and buy the take off rear DS cheap.

Ron
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:09 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman

I just want to quickly revisit this thread with the results of how this turned out. Just been too busy the last couple of weeks, and forgot to update this.

A couple things to note. Once removed, I found that this was a GKN made shaft, so it is most certainly the original LT95 shaft, and not some aftermarket item. I was also able to take the propshaft to Rovahfarm and compate it to the later (FRC8389) shaft, and they are interchangeable, as many here surmised. The actual diameter of the two shafts is the same, the only real difference being the size of the U-joints used.

When I dismantled the propshaft, I found the screw collar wasn't as tight as it should have been. Looking at the splines, everything seemed just fine. No apparent wear. So, I reassembled the two halves, tightened the collar real well, installed a rubber gaiter, changed out the U-joints, lubed the thing up and re-installed it. Presto! Now everything is nice and tight!

Thanks for all the responses guys. Here's a couple shots of the splines.

Cheers,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1082.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	31751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	31752  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags