Rear pinion seal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 13th, 2012, 03:15 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

In the parts manual there are two part numbers for the rear pinion seal. The first seal is good for a certain set of numbers as is the second seal. I asked the dealer what the number corresponds to since it didn't match my vin and the said the axle housing is stamped. Now my rear housing has long ago turned orange and I can't find anything stamped on it. The dealer only had the seal for the second set of numbers. I think it has something to do with coarse vs fine splines or some crap. My truck is an early 94. (395) Does anyone know what seal I should have?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2012, 03:58 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Barry,

You're going to need this # as there is no other way to know which axle you have under there. It’s a PITA to get as well, sorry. If you’re unlucky then its laser etched from a series of dots which make it hard to read at the best of times like mine, worse if its obscured. If you’re lucky it will be stamped just like a VIN # on the frame. Good news is that unless your surface rusts is really bad then a rub with some medium and then fine grit abrasive paper should make it still readable and on the rear it should be the right way up.

Look at the 3 pics of my front axle. They try and zoom you in to where it is located. I can't get good pics of my rear one at the moment due to the tank cradle being in the way. The front and rear are the same though, just reversed.

Now you know where it is you should be able to find it. It’s normally in a similar format to the T-Case number with 2 numbers, followed by a letter to denote the type and then the serial numbers.

HTH

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle No 1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	50227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle No 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	50228  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle No 3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	50229  
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Could you clean it the best you can, tape some thin white paper over the axle, then shade a pencil over it to try to get the number displayed more prominently from the etching?

No way you could buy both and return the wrong one, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Could you clean it the best you can, tape some thin white paper over the axle, then shade a pencil over it to try to get the number displayed more prominently from the etching?

No way you could buy both and return the wrong one, right?
The CSI approach is a good idea...it works...

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:24 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The dealer only had the newer one in stock.

Most of the rust on my truck hit the back hard. The rear axle has no paint and I long ago replaced the fuel cradle because it turned to dust.

I now have an idea where to look but I doubt I will find it. Actually did they use the laser method in 94?
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:19 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Where would it be on the rear axle? If it was on the front of it then it is long gone.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

On my 88 and 110 rover stamped the rear axle ID on the back side of the axle case tube to the left of the diff. YMMV
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:57 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
On the Driver's side facing back. Same as the front just flipped like the axle casing is. Older ones are stamped and easier to read, newer ones are punched out of dots like you see on mine and a Biatch to even see let alone read. Just clean the area with some abrasive paper and you should find it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions