Rear Main Seal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 15th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Heath Ahrens
Rear Main Seal

Is there any trick to getting the rear main seal in?
After doing all of the hard work (taking apart the middle of the truck), I rushed the seal and it shredded as it was going in. After lubing it with oil I figured it would slide in with no problem... I ended up banging it in out of frustration...I will have a new one soon. Will I have to remove the oil pan and that part of the block that mates up to the bottom half of the seal??? Is there some kind of tool to put it in? I can't believe I screwed up the easiest part!

Old March 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
You can do the rear main without removing the main cap, but once you've done all the work to get it all apart why wouldn't you want to replace the crucifix/cross seals?

What you want to do is pull the pan, remove the rear main cap (after removing the bolts holding it, put the pan bolts back in it a few threads and tap on the bolts to pop the cap out). Carefully clean both the grooves in the cap and the surfaces on the block. Put a small bead of right stuff in the grooves then press in the crucifix seals and (make sure the bearing is in place and put a little oil on it too) replace the rear main cap. Next you have to install the rear main, but you need a driver that will put even pressure all the way around and tap it on. I generally have a beer now and give the right stuff a min. to set up a bit. Now trim the crucifix seals even with the block using a razor blade. Reinstall the oil pan with right stuff. You especially want to make sure there is right stuff where the front cover meets the block and where the crucifix seals meet the pan.

If you have any questions you can PM me and I'll give you my cell.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions