rear links - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
rear links

I am facing the suspension/driveline battle. Some investigation this weekend will determine the source of my vibes. UJoints are fine I do notice a small amount of play in the slip yoke (rear); I have read all the vibration threads.. Considering Rovertracks rear links. For those of you that have repalced your rear links with bent ones, have you gotten rid of the driveline vibs, or did you have to add a DC rear drive shaft in addition to rear links? Castor corrected radius arms and DC shaft are in the works. I am thinking snowball, or rather cashball. Thanks for yalls never ending insight..
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Figuring your rear driveline angles is easy with a 12 dollar angle finder from the hardware store. Correcting them is the $$$ issue. Keith made a set of custom length rear links for me after having me take a series of measurements for him. They fixed things perfectly with my rear CV shaft.
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:52 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Hey... Next time you are in atlanta, I can let you borrow a DC Drive Shaft to test out your driveline. I have an extra one that I am planning on putting on my SW at some point.

Look for a used set of rear links. They are pretty reasonable and you can keep your current ones in case you want to change the truck back to stock.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2007, 06:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
What are the stock angles supposed to be? Putting on some rear links tomorrow.
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Start by removing the front shaft and running just with the rear till you get the vibs to go away. You will need to play with the spacers to get the rear pinion to be within about 2 deg of the rear output. do you have an angle finder? I think your pinion should b about 2 or 3 deg pointed up since the rear pinion is about 1 or 2 deg pionting down. once you get that figured out, then you can worry about the front. My rear shaft is still stock with a 3" lift
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Revive the thread. Ive been running the RT rear links for sometime, I used two of the three spacers that came with them, got the pinion andgle to about 2 degrees. Long story short the rear links lengthened my wheelbase somewhat and my rear tire hits the tail pipe. I took out a spacer no more rubbing but the rumble/growl in the t-case is back and pretty bad. I dont like the idea that I have made the wheelbase longer. The magnetic angle finder says my rear pinion is ~4 degrees, now. Whats the deal with CV driveshafts? Install and everything is good, or they still require some fine tuning?
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You still have to fine tune. I just did one in Jorge's truck and we used no spacers... So now the diff is pointed up with the d-shaft. No noise or vibs now..
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
whos links how much lift
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
whos links how much lift
What he means is that the DC driveshaft needs to be in line with the pinion or close. So with a non CV/DC you want a different angle than you do with one. If you got to nervana without the DC, I would just let it go and deal with the rubbing on the rear. It can't be much. You really don't need to go CV at this point as you don't have enough lift to make it necessary.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:52 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I may just add the spacers and cut off the tail pipe. Do those rear links usually move the wheels back? I havent ever heard anyone mention it.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I may just add the spacers and cut off the tail pipe. Do those rear links usually move the wheels back? I havent ever heard anyone mention it.
The upper ball joint mount stays stationary, so as you adjust the angle on the pinion upward, it will move the axle foreword. As you angle the pinion lower, it moves back. Nobody mentioned it, I am assuming, because it is so minor that most are not affected by the change. A DC shaft is very pricey so I am sure you could have a whole new exaust made from the muffler back for way cheaper.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:25 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dan, 3" springs and RYM rear links on Jorges truck..

Buck, with a DC shaft, you point the pinion in line or no more then 2 deg different then the shaft angle. On a standard shaft you want the pinion angled at about 2 deg up to match the 2 deg that the t-case is pointed down... I have done many of these setups and would call myself a PRO in my own mind... A real shaft master..lol..
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Keep in mind the pinions move when power is applied.
Front up rear down.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
With the rover suspension, you really dont get movement like in a truck with a leaf spring. The links keep the axle from twisting with the rover setup..
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I was going to say I dont think axle wrap is an issue with this truck.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Yes they move, albeit not as much as a leafer. I bet several degrees!
I never mentioned axle wrap! I am not an idiot!
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Dan, 3" springs and RYM rear links on Jorges truck..

Buck, with a DC shaft, you point the pinion in line or no more then 2 deg different then the shaft angle. On a standard shaft you want the pinion angled at about 2 deg up to match the 2 deg that the t-case is pointed down... I have done many of these setups and would call myself a PRO in my own mind... A real shaft master..lol..
I think that's exactly what I said.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
With the rover suspension, you really dont get movement like in a truck with a leaf spring. The links keep the axle from twisting with the rover setup..
Actually, the rover suspension allows tons of movement for a linked suspension. Especially in the front with the large radius axle bushings. I have a lexan floor and I can lean over and watch the pinion lift when I hit the gas. It's entertaining.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:35 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Phillip, did you ever sort out your vibes? I was just thinking, in another thread I think you mentioned having the extended ball joint mount didn't you? It seems like if you took that out and the spacers out that the whole axle would move forward and might clear your exhaust. I would remove that ball joint extender and then try to get the pinion angle right and see how everything is.

I was just looking for some info on links and spacers and stumbled on this old thread. By the way, does anyone know where to get the spacers to set the pinion angle? I have a set of Scorpion Racing links that I am planning to install but I don't have the spacers for them.
Old September 25th, 2014, 08:36 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I added all the little washers/spacers Keith sent with the rear links. I have been noise/vibration free for years. I dicked around with the angle finder before finally adding the remaining washers, it did lengthen the wheel base ever so slightly.
Old September 26th, 2014, 10:58 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I added all the little washers/spacers Keith sent with the rear links. I have been noise/vibration free for years. I dicked around with the angle finder before finally adding the remaining washers, it did lengthen the wheel base ever so slightly.
Did you have a vibe/growling sound in the rear when you were going highway speeds and needed to let up on the gas? Also, are you running a stock rear drive shaft as well?

Clay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions