rear link bushing help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 18th, 2006, 07:27 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

rear link bushing help

I am currently in Moab and a busted rear link bushing. I decided to check the rear links when after hitting the brakes on the road the rear end would switch lanes while the front stayed. Anyhow, on the driver side one of the frame mount bushings was completely missing. All that was left was a little nubbin. It was a ploybush too... They are about three weeks old, i put them in with the new rear links and today was the first real wheeling it's seen and poof one breaks off. My question is, I need to get this remedied as fast as possible and i was wondering if anyone knew where to search in Moab. Do d-90 bushings match that of any other more common trucks? It doesn't need to be a poly bush... THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2006, 07:39 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Don't know of a place in Moab, but here's GBR's site, they're up here in SLC and could probably mail it to you pretty fast if Bill has it in stock. Might be worth a call. Only problem is you would have to wait until tomorrow morning and then have it overnighted or something.

http://greatbasinrovers.com/
Old June 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

check with Bill Burke, he's in Fuita not too far away. He may have some stock ones laying around to get you going again.

http://www.bb4wa.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2006, 10:31 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

WHat about this.. I have bushings from the front radius arms that I have not installed yet. Upon examining the other side (the good rear link) the bushings on either side of the frame mount are the same. So what if I took one of those bushings (the one closest to the 30mm nut) and used it to replace the broken one and used bushings from the front (which are smaller) on the nut side of the frame mount. If both sides were equal then the truck would steer straight and all I have to do is wait for the new ones to come in the mail and simply pop the nut off the replace them without having to drop the radius arm. What this comes down to is I want to go wheeling tomorrow and tuesday and am searching for a way ... you think this will work or is a bad idea?
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:22 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

That sucks, which polybushes were you using?
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:54 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

It was the blue ones
Old June 19th, 2006, 01:18 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I recently got back from Baja where this same thing happened with the blue polybush. First day of real off roading in the middle of mexico and the driverside rear completely disintigrated needless to say I was pissed. I luckly had the old ones as a spare (orange) and put them back in and there wasn't a problem. The only reason I brought the old ones was because I heard so many stories of the blues taking a shit on people... if it wasn't for that I would have been really stranded.

... the blue ones suck. I have never had a problem with the orange and it seems like quite a few of us have had problems with the blues... mabye a bad batch was sent out. I am never going to install the blues again.

sorry to hijack... and good luck.
Old June 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

So here is the final story with the blues. After the last post it all makes sense.. My driver side also was the one that disintigrated. Upon examining the bushing more closely the rubber looks like it was melted off. Considering that's the same side the exhaust is on I have my culprit. It was fine the whole way down right until I get to Moab where it was a 102 yesterday and the previous post where the same thing happened in baja.. I guess the softer rubber doesn't take the heat. Soo I went to the auto store and got a heat shield wrap to put around teh exhaust by teh frame mount. Hopefully that will work to solve the problem until I can change these shitty bushings out.. Side note... Anyone used exhaust wrap on the headers to cool teh engine bay down?? The box says it reduces engine bay temp up to 70%. I don't know about you but my burnining feet like the sound of that..
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

the same thing happened to me while in Moab last year. I drove to Vegas hoping to get a replacement at the dealership. They would have had to order it, so I contacted Bill Goodman at Kinsington (sp?) Motors, he had a used one laying around his shop. The Poly bushings are BS, most people stick with the OEM.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:38 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

If you wrap the headers incorrectly you can get some moisture between the wrap and the pipe and it will rust thru the exhaust.

Remember, most folks haven't tried the stronger more durable Orange Polybush. I've had them on my truck for three years now w/o a problem. I've tried the blue and red bushes on my CJ and they sucked.
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:19 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Didn't think about the heat thing... Although I'm not sure if that is what did mine in. I had been running it for days on end with the same high freeway EGT's and no bushing problems. Plus while on the trail the EGT's on the 300tdi are really low...as soon as I got on a steep incline that forced articulation on the fully loaded 110 they just crapped out. I really think it was the stess not the heat.

IMO the stock rubber is great for highway, they flex well and have a nice ride. But as far as running them under heavy load on extended washboard they just don't last. I will be sticking with the orange polybush.
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:27 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I don't believe it.. I go to the shop today get the front raduis bushings chopped up to match the rears, jerry rig the trailing arm with the makeshift bushing, everything goes great.. take the truck on the trail and the quick-a-fix bushing does fine despite being to small and on the way down from gold bar i get the funky rear end sway only to find out that the bushing on the other side gave out. These blue poly bushes are killing me. So it must be stress as well as heat.... bitter...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions