Rear light issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 24th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Rear light issue

My passenger side taillight is out as well as 2 rear side lights. I checked fuses, seem ok. Not bulb socket, exchanged with other side & worked fine. Anyone have any idea where to go from here? or should I start exposing rear harness look for short. Hoping to avoid that.....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Id check the ground.

-Jeff
I've cleaned and renewed most over last few years. Its probably one of the best approaches to figuring this out......
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Check the grounds. If both rear running lights are out they should be connected together right around, or in, the frame as it exits to the rear. You will have a little play in the Chassis harness but not much.
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
Check the grounds. If both rear running lights are out they should be connected together right around, or in, the frame as it exits to the rear. You will have a little play in the Chassis harness but not much.

only brake, tail & side on right rear. I checked fuses & bulb connections. It came back on for a few days but now back out. Any ideas on which ground would isolate that particular part of harness?
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

I had interment problems with my right rear lights.

Ended up being a harness issue (albeit the PO had part of the harness replaced a couple years earlier and it failed).

As always, interment things like this are hard to troubleshoot. I was "fortunate" to figure it out because of the previous "repair".

But if that ends up being the problem - Rovertek on LI fabricated and installed a new one at a relatively reasonable price.
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

How well protected is the harness in the rear wheel wells? Do you have to boot kit installed? Have you been driving in the rain/snow lately? If your fuses are ok I would start back at the lights and work your way back. On most Defenders the wiring is exposed in the rear wheel wells. It's a recipe for disaster. I had ongoing issues until I sealed it all up with Ancor wiring and a boot kit. Never had an issue since.
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
How well protected is the harness in the rear wheel wells? Do you have to boot kit installed? Have you been driving in the rain/snow lately? If your fuses are ok I would start back at the lights and work your way back. On most Defenders the wiring is exposed in the rear wheel wells. It's a recipe for disaster. I had ongoing issues until I sealed it all up with Ancor wiring and a boot kit. Never had an issue since.

Thanks 'Lemonhead' (sorry, no idea on name) and Carl......

Carl, it is completely exposed. I've always wondered but yet never addressed it. They are partially taped together, parts exposed, etc...

I'm going to open up that whole area and see if any stripped wires. I noticed it failing after hosing it down recently. Fuses seem ok. But they would be 2 separate fuses regardless, side lights & right rear are separate from what i've noticed.

The wire harness by rear well is a mess. I started to look at it and quickly became depressed looking at the bowl of spaghetti wires. But I guess I know what I need to try before visiting Chris in Long Island.

How did you seal it? whats Ancor? is that heat shrink? is stripped along way, i guess best to just splice in fresh wire, whats best to repair?

thanks for all advice!

phil
Old March 9th, 2013, 09:02 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Phil, did you check the fuses with a test light make sure the power is actually there ... some fuses look good but don't transfer power ... next step check the (3) connectors under the bonnet that come out of the bulkhead for corrosion and power .... as for the mess in the rear harness i could guarantee the water has wicked up the harness ...causing high resistance or no connection at all ... if you need my help just call me
i actually enjoy wiring ....
good luck
Chris
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rovertek/102768113153074
Old March 9th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

My PO had done a crappy job back there as well. All my splices were wrapped with tape and moisture had gone into the wires and start to corrode them. Because of the location water and dirt would kick up and soak the wires. When driving in snow a block of slush would collect right where the wires are located. It's the worst possible location to do a crappy wiring job.

Ancor is my brand of choice for marine wiring and connectors. I used shrink connectors and shrink tubing to redo and water proof the wires back there then I installed a boot kit over it. In addition I ordered a kit from LR to cover the wires in the rear wheel well. I went from having constant intermittent issues to never having a problem ever again since fixing it. Spend the extra coin on Ancor products and never worry about it ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpigapicha View Post

Thanks 'Lemonhead' (sorry, no idea on name) and Carl......

Carl, it is completely exposed. I've always wondered but yet never addressed it. They are partially taped together, parts exposed, etc...

I'm going to open up that whole area and see if any stripped wires. I noticed it failing after hosing it down recently. Fuses seem ok. But they would be 2 separate fuses regardless, side lights & right rear are separate from what i've noticed.

The wire harness by rear well is a mess. I started to look at it and quickly became depressed looking at the bowl of spaghetti wires. But I guess I know what I need to try before visiting Chris in Long Island.

How did you seal it? whats Ancor? is that heat shrink? is stripped along way, i guess best to just splice in fresh wire, whats best to repair?

thanks for all advice!

phil
Old March 9th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

I know what my project is. Looked into the ancor products, def seem the way to go.

Chris I have a feeling may be fuse related. I had checked fuses and were ok, but shortly after noted lights worked for a few days before going back out. Going to light test them see if not blown but for some reason not transferring power. All major grounds I think are ok, renewed as many as I could find but not sure where those specific lights would be grounded.

I'm glad you enjoy electrical, it may require your hands. I'll ring you this week.....

Regardless, I have to cleanup that rear harness, beyond a doubt there is moisture in there.

Thanks again.......
Old March 9th, 2013, 09:41 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Funny thing have a customer with a similar issue with the fuse panel , try to clean and tighten the connectors in the panel ..you might have to re-pin the panel .. as for the harness i build to customers spec .. weatherpac connector or no connectors .. all wires are soldered and crimped with heavy duty shrink wrap and anti-chaf loom also i run dedicated grounds for tailights and fuel pump also split the harness so the pump wires are in there own
either way always here to help
Chris
Old March 12th, 2013, 12:32 AM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

I just had this problem on the 93 110 and fixed it two weekends ago.

Turned out to be a loose connection in the right (passenger) side bullet connector cluster that provides a connection from the right side tail and side light wires to the left side versions.

I removed the speaker enclosures on each side and wiggled the wires until i found the one that lit up the left (drivers) side. Then cleaned the bullet connector and pushed it back in the cluster.
1993 NAS D-110 #55 (GNUTRUK)
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht