Rear Hinges - New are Alloy Treated and Different Design - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 3rd, 2004, 11:02 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Lightbulb Rear Hinges - New are Alloy Treated and Different Design

Ref prev posting re: Rear Hinges - http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3738

If you review the linked posts there is different suggestions re the middle hinge. Turns out the middle Rear Hinge is in fact correct, but is in fact a post 1997 designed replacement.

FYI - New are designed with Torx head and Acorn nut at base and are Alloy Treated (images)

RN Pricing about 40.00ea for bottoms and 50.00 for Top.
Torx Bolts (hinge to body) are new part#s - (6 short "torx" .83ea and 6 Long .73ea) Arthur at RN is familiar with them.

Since there seems to be no recess or countersink in the top "new design" one that is on the wagon I opted to change all with new door. " . . . do it right" . While I realize I can rebuild the old (kits 5.00 at RN or 3.00 at RDS) I am hoping the alloy coating will help in preventing future rust issues.

This of course works out great as already changed to new Alloys on sides which use the new Torx bolts.

Cheers!

PS: I had posted before re installation of the side hinge kits http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3687 - RN rep since stated they send only 8 grommets with the hinge kits as "the grommets only go on the door side of the hinge between the door and the nut thus there are only 8"
The grommets (vinyl sleeves) should go on the bolts (slide on up to the heads) before they are slid thru the hinge. They "expand" as you tighten and create a buffer between the bolt head and the inner hinge. This of course eliminates the vibration that caused the paint to rub and allow corrosion. This is of course my opinion but it worked perfectly on my installation. If anyone has a different view . . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latch 001.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1817   Click image for larger version

Name:	latch 002.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1818  

Name:	hinge_L.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1819  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Post install

An added note: You can get Mylar washers (which are much thinner than nylon) to go between the bolt heads and the new painted hinge - which was a great find as your able to turn the heads without scoring the paint and they do not show at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hinge_rear_new (Small).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1994  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:49 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I just installed these hinges also and they are great. I also got the black plastic washers too.
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

The (rolled) black grommets are key in the side door hinges. You slide them on up to the flare of the new bolts and then they expand as you tighten creating a buffer between the bolts and the hinge. RN only sends (8) with the kits - posted prior re be sure to get 8 more.

On the rears I used Mylar (paper thin) washers that I found oddly enoguh at Ace Hardware. RN advised no part for same via LR.

Had the side on for a while now . . . still like brand new!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alloy