Rear fold out seat opinions wanted - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 1st, 2014, 05:17 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Rear fold out seat opinions wanted

I need to purchase at least one, maybe two rear fold out seats (forward facing). This would be to allow me to bring along 1-2 children, around town and off road. I only know of the two options from Exmoor.

Two questions:

1) Are there other seat options (forward facing/Exmoor)? I'm of course aware of the bench setup, etc. Need a fold up setup as I want the space when they are not with me.
2) Does anyone have opinions on the quality of the forward facing seats themselves?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2014, 09:25 PM
Spanish Fly
Carlos Soldevila
1990 Defender 90

I am also looking at these bestop seats, but wonder where I can find the brackets/parts to fit it in my Defender 90?
Old November 1st, 2014, 11:00 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I will post up some pics of an older style look and swivel land rover seats. They have their own seatbelts integrated into the seat. I put my children in them with their cars seats and feel very confident about their safety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:11 PM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
dmarchand, you might want to contact these folks. http://littleseats.com

Spent about thirty minutes talking to the manager about custom building a seat for my D90 SW as unless I can find a way to carry the bitchitas, I start thinking about selling.

The exmoor trim front center seat was one option for my '95, and they really like riding up front one at a time. Do not think that is an option on your '97? This option was also suggested by an emergency room doctor on this forum.

The exmoor trim lock and fold seats look great and have been crash tested. If you have two folded down at the same time, how difficult will it be for someone to get out of the back of the vehicle? Never seen in person but it does not look that easy to get out of the back of the vehicle with them down and in use. I did ask exmoor if they could be mounted backwards, moved toward the front of the load space, but had no answer.

A bench seat like bestop or little seats. Littleseats would even consider designing the seat to accommodate a four point harness and their seats can be mounted backwards, moved up to the front of the load space for more room for stuff in back.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:33 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
ive got the ST setup in my SW. bench comes out by pulling 2 pins. super easy removal.

i like the lock n folds...but as someone else pointed out, it's probably oddly hard to get in and out if both are down.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:38 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
I just put in the lock & folds. I like them, even though they're a huge pain to flip up into the folded position. Two next to each other take up over 50% of the load area. Folded up, they still take up a lot of space. They feel solid when you sit but I have no idea what would happen in a side impact or 45-mph head-on collision. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably put in one and then see if I actually needed the second one.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:37 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Thanks guys.

Steve, I'm probably just going to install one to start since one toddler can sit up front. Did you compare them to the forward facing fold ups that exmoor sells?

Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:43 AM
Spanish Fly
Carlos Soldevila
1990 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
I just put in the lock & folds. I like them, even though they're a huge pain to flip up into the folded position. Two next to each other take up over 50% of the load area. Folded up, they still take up a lot of space. They feel solid when you sit but I have no idea what would happen in a side impact or 45-mph head-on collision. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably put in one and then see if I actually needed the second one.
Hi,

I am not sure which seats exactly are the "lock & folds"?

tks!
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
tzbmcp
Tyler
110 LHD 3dr

Quote:
Do you have pics of these?
Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:40 PM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

Any options for a 3 person bench to fit three small kids across? with belts.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:19 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Here's some pics of the Exmoor Lock and Folds installed:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38898
Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:55 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
I'm using the lock and folds and like them. It is a bitch to get them up and down but gets easier with practice. I got them because they are the only ones that are legal for car seats that I could find. The kids need to do a shuffle to get out as there is no space between them and it's a bit of a chore to get them buckled in ( though now my older one gets the younger). They can get around the sides if the seats are folded down but can't do that if you are using car seats.
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:07 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Lock and swivels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
I will post up some pics of an older style look and swivel land rover seats. They have their own seatbelts integrated into the seat. I put my children in them with their cars seats and feel very confident about their safety.
The seats remain upright and you swivel and lock them into either their stowe away position or forward facing. They are Defender seats for the rear area. Notice the integrated 3 point seat belt harness tower on the far left of the folded forward seat.

In addition, I have removed my cubby and put in a center seat. We used to fit the infant car seat up front in the center seat which made it nice to watch over the little charub as you are traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock and swivel5.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	106357   Click image for larger version

Name:	lock and swivel4.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	106358  

Name:	lock and fold 2.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	106359   Click image for larger version

Name:	lock and swivel3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	106360  

Name:	lock and fold1.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	106361  
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:20 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
Thanks guys.

Steve, I'm probably just going to install one to start since one toddler can sit up front. Did you compare them to the forward facing fold ups that exmoor sells?
Nope, just went right for the L&F. One is a good idea. Also noticed that it's absurdly loud back in the load area while driving, so I've been adding a lot of soundproofing.

------ Follow up post added November 4th, 2014 01:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelandy33 View Post
Any options for a 3 person bench to fit three small kids across? with belts.
I've never seen one, but Trevor (I think) installed a big Disco seat in the back of a SW. Or maybe I'm wrong. Not entirely sure how you'd get a middle seatbelt, but you could probably use the same hardware as a NAS ST for the bench seat.
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:18 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Quote:
Nope, just went right for the L&F. One is a good idea. Also noticed that it's absurdly loud back in the load area while driving, so I've been adding a lot of soundproofing.

------ Follow up post added November 4th, 2014 01:23 PM ------

I've never seen one, but Trevor (I think) installed a big Disco seat in the back of a SW. Or maybe I'm wrong. Not entirely sure how you'd get a middle seatbelt, but you could probably use the same hardware as a NAS ST for the bench seat.
They do make a rear drawer in differing depths, meaning from the back of the truck going forward. I believe these drawers are the same height as the wheel wells so in essence by adding the drawer you now have a flat surface across the tub. Next you could install a wider seat on top of the storage drawer to accommodate 3. Or do two jump seats in the rear and Pm'd in the center between the two fronts.
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:55 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
My D90 came with an Exmoor on the right hand side. I kinda love/hate it. It doesn't get used and takes up a lot of space when deployed. And stowing it requires three hands, but I would imagine its a must have for someone with kids or with frequent passengers.

I change my mind every other day about pulling it out and selling it.
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:43 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
They do make a rear drawer in differing depths, meaning from the back of the truck going forward. I believe these drawers are the same height as the wheel wells so in essence by adding the drawer you now have a flat surface across the tub. Next you could install a wider seat on top of the storage drawer to accommodate 3. Or do two jump seats in the rear and Pm'd in the center between the two fronts.
I've been contemplating this option for my ST. I have been thinking about talking to the guys at Twisted Stitch to make a larger bench that will span the wheel wells 42" or so. I have 3 little ones that I'd like to be able to take around in the back and this seems like the best option for me. It isn't fold down, but it'll take 3, I can use storage under seat and possible move this bench more forward than my fold and tumble to provide more space in back. Not OPs needs, so sorry for blabbing. Need to figure out how to use existing mounting points to secure bench and then fab middle seat belt system.

http://http://www.twistedstitchinc.com/seat_options.asp

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wanted