Rear Fog Light Electrical Fault - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2015, 02:46 AM
nengelbrecht6
Nick Engelbrecht
2005 LR3 SE "No Name Yet"

Registry
Rear Fog Light Electrical Fault

The rear fog light on my 1985 110 CSW will not work. Yesterday, I verified that there was 12 volts present at the switch (Purple+Blue wire) with the low beams on but this voltage drops to zero when I turn the fog light switch on. I tried disconnecting the lamp unit thinking that maybe that could be the issue but still the same results. I also checked the grounding wire, but that is good because it is a common ground with all other tail lamps and all the others work.

I'm out of things to check and am seeking some advice if anyone has any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2015, 03:08 AM
nengelbrecht6
Nick Engelbrecht

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nengelbrecht6 View Post
The rear fog light on my 1985 110 CSW will not work. Yesterday, I verified that there was 12 volts present at the switch (Purple+Blue wire) with the low beams on but this voltage drops to zero when I turn the fog light switch on. I tried disconnecting the lamp unit thinking that maybe that could be the issue but still the same results. I also checked the grounding wire, but that is good because it is a common ground with all other tail lamps and all the others work.

I'm out of things to check and am seeking some advice if anyone has any.
I should also add that the indicator on the dash also does not light.
Old March 29th, 2015, 09:35 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The switch may be bad... Do you have any power past the switch? Try jumping the switch to see if the fog light comes on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2015, 03:18 PM
nengelbrecht6
Nick Engelbrecht

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
The switch may be bad... Do you have any power past the switch? Try jumping the switch to see if the fog light comes on.
I've tried jumping the switch with the same results. I don't suspect it is the switch.

KM6FDZ

2005 LR3 SE
Old March 29th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

On the later years the Blue/Purple wire comes from the fuse box to feed the Fog light ECU. A red/slate goes to the switch which completes a ground circuit. Out of the ECU comes a RY wire that goes to the dash lamp and the fog light.
I would double check to make sure you do not have a relay or something behind the dash that is faulty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical, ht