Rear Fog Dash Indicator - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Rear Fog Dash Indicator

I recently re-wired my existing rear work light into a rear fog switch on the right-hand side of the steering column. This was a great solution but due to the location I am concerned I am going to trigger it while driving and blind people behind me, or leave it on and drain my battery. It is constant hot. I want to wire it to the unused rear fog indicator in the dash so I have something to alert me when it's on. Any advice? I peeked behind the binnacle and it looks like there are two spade connectors directly behind the indicator. I assume one is power and the other ground? Can I just tap the power lead for the work light to illuminate the indicator? Thanks in advance for tips on how others have done this.
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2011, 02:16 PM
defeyago
Santiago
´96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
That´s right way to do it. In my case I´ve used another unused (red) dash indicator since my Defender is equipped with rear fog light from the factory. Check if there is actually a bulb on that holder also. Some of the bulb holders have their own connectors and some of the others get electricity from the 2 big plugs in the rear of the instrument cluster.
´04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
´97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
´95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
´94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:26 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Thanks for confirming, Santiago. I'll give it a go and report back.
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2011, 04:32 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

My fog light switch is in that location and wired so the red indicator turns on when in use. Let me know if you want to take a look at my set up (i'm local).
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:59 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Paul, I sent you a PM. Interested to know what procedure you used. Do you drive the British Racing Green ST with a fiberglass top that I see onLee Highway all the time? It seems I am never in my truck when I pass you.
Old December 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson View Post
Paul, I sent you a PM. Interested to know what procedure you used. Do you drive the British Racing Green ST with a fiberglass top that I see onLee Highway all the time? It seems I am never in my truck when I pass you.
That's not me but i'm on lee hwy alot. Mine is the coniston green st. I had a fiberglass top years ago but have been running a badger st last few years. I'm the one w/ the limb risers/snorkel/arb.

replying to your pm now...
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:20 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

This was pretty easy to do. If you pop off the dash fascia you'll discover that there is a printed circuit that recieves power from two multi-connectors filled with a bunch of odd little terminals. These terminals essentially "pinch" the printed circuit and supply power. Each indicator also has a little bulb holder that snaps in place and makes contact with the printed circuit.

The "slot" in the multi-connector that aligns with the contacts for the rear fog indicator are empty, and I could not find additional terminals anywhere. So I removed the little bulb holder and replaced it with one of the unused (but different) bulb holders that are located in the corners of the panel (there are several back there). These have little spade terminals on the back and snap right in place. On my truck one is used for the heated rear door indicator and the others are unused. I grounded one end and tied the other into the power feed from the rear fog switch. It now illuminates when the rear worklight is on.

There are several unused icons on the fascia (including one that is blank) that you could use as indicators for accessories. Some I recognized, some I did not. For instance there is a little set of cogs that would be a nice indicator to use for lockers. There is also a transmission temp warning indicator which is wired up, but I dont think there is actually a sensor/sender in the ZF....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled4.png
Views:	70
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	45557   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	70
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	45558  

Name:	untitled2.png
Views:	68
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	45559   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled3.png
Views:	69
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	45560  

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	45561  
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Thanks for sharing, where did you source the power for your rear light? I assume the wiring isn't there on the NAS trucks for the rear fog light. I had someone wire up my rear work light but ran in through a 110 dimmer switch (dual beam) in conjunction with the dash light. I use the switch on the stalk for my hellas on the front.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Hey Philip - I have the old style Matador mounted on a bracket above the license plate light. I bought it from Safari Gard back when they offered it as a package. Its powered from the fuse box in the engine compartment via a relay, and grounded on the firewall. I ran the wiring for the switch into the dash via one of the existing grommets, and ran the wiring to the light down through the transmission tunnel, along the frame and up into the drivers-side rear quarter panel behind the speaker. I have it wired constant hot so I can use it when the truck is off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash