Rear driveshaft geometry - changes? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90
Question Rear driveshaft geometry - changes?

Question/opinions? Is is better to use a rear Double Cardan drive-shaft and tilt the differential flange towards the T-case, or is it better to keep using a standard single u-joint drive-shaft? Currently my D90 has a ~2" lift. The T-case and diff flanges are on the same plane for the most part. The rear diff flange points upwards by 1-2 degress and the t-case flange points down by about 2 degrees (anyone know it this is the way it should be?). This appears to be a good setup for a standard single u-joint drive-shaft.

I already have a TW DC drive-shaft that I would like to install; However, it is recommended that the rear diff be pitched towards the t-case flange to eliminate torsional vibrations. I already have Rovertrack HD trailing links install and I don't want to change them, can the diff be effectively pitched thorugh the a-arm setup. Advantages/Disadvantages?

Or should I ditch the DC and look to get a heavy duty single drive-shaft for the rear?

Old March 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's
If those rovertracks trailing links are adjustable, it would be fairly easy to pitch the pinion up (I don't think you'd need to worry about the a-arm extension, but you'd have to try to be sure). If they're not adjustable, it might be more trouble than it's worth with just a 2" lift. In that case, I would suggest just making sure the pinion and t-case flanges are perfectly aligned and your u-joints might wear out a little quicker because they'll be working at harsher angles. If you wanted, you could have a custom, higher-angle DS made, but that would be about as pricey as getting new trailing links.
Mom: "Boy, you got champagne taste on a beer budget."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions