Rear diff questions.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Rear diff questions....

Having some noises coming from my rear end on my 97 ST that is concerning me. I have been driving the vehicle for about 5 years now and the sounds have always been present but seem to be getting worse.

Configuration:
Only have a one inch lift and am running 32 in tires.
I have an ARB installed in the front and rear. They were installed before I bought it so I am not certain what gearing I have .... they could be stock or ?

Problem:
Weird sounds. Between 40 and 45 mph the vehicle makes several sounds. A WHOAM WHOAM kind of deep humming sound (Possibly tires?) and then on top of that a high pitched singing sound with some gravelly scratchy sounds mixed in there. My mechanic says he believes it is the pinion gear in the rear diff vibrating and that I should not drive it in that noisy zone . He says that is increasing wear.

I would like to do the work myself but have not been into a diff before. I suspect that the pinion and (Ring gear?) will at least need to have their spacing or backlash (whatever it is called) adjusted at a minimum or they should be replaced.

I am looking for some guidance here as to how best to proceed.....

I would like to inspect it somehow with the least amount of disassembly possible and determine what parts I will need. I assume I will require bearings and will plan to have all of them on hand before I tear it all apart. Ideally I would like to have everything I will need on hand prior to the tear down. Is there a rebuild kit available for this?

What is the best way to inspect and figure out what I will need? How best to check the gears for too much wear?
How can I determine what gearing I have, to know what ring and pinion to order if need be?

I have looked at the ARB install article in the Tech section here and so far that is the best source of info I have been able to find.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Could be a few things...

1. Check the fluid level in the both diffs, you could be low on fluid.
2. Check your drive shafts too, you could have a failing u-joint.
3. Check the fluid level in your transfercase too.

If you want to pull the diff, you will need to pull the axels out a few inches. While you are in there, check the wheel bearings too. You could any number of issues. If you know some one with a stock disco locally, try swaping wheels to see if the wheel noise changes.

Scott

Old June 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Scott,

Thanks for your advice.

Fluid levels in diffs and xfer case is fresh and all have been checked by myself AND my mechanic recently. Rear drive shaft was rebuilt last year and has few miles on it. Rear wheel bearings on both sides replaced last year and also ve3ry few miles on them.

My mechanic is convinced that the singing sound is pinion vibration and I believe it. I guess I will be diving into the rear diff to figure out what I need soon.
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Once you pull the diff you can count the teeth on the ring gear and pinion gear and determine the ratio with some simple division.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions