Rear Crossmember options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2015, 04:33 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Rear Crossmember options

I need to replace my Rear Crossmember for my NAS D110. Here are my requirements:

- Need the longest extensions possible
- Would like to retain the NAS crossmember look (no hole like the newer ones)

Who has the best crossmember that fits those needs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

How long do you really need? I ask because there is a "quarter chassis" which goes all the way to the spring mounts but I would not advise it as it is much hard to align than the ones with the 18in extensions.

The biggest issue with the NAS 110 is it has "saddles" that go on top of the rails where they dip down and none of the replacements have those so you have to cut off the saddles to fit the 18in extension ones. I suppose you could remake the saddles if you wanted to, but all they do is trap rust.
Old October 13th, 2015, 08:37 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
So far as I know, the only Genuine cross members are just the cross member. Ones with the frame rails (extensions) are aftermarket, and not LR Genuine. You are going to be looking for something from Britpart or another source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2015, 08:58 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
How long do you really need? I ask because there is a "quarter chassis" which goes all the way to the spring mounts but I would not advise it as it is much hard to align than the ones with the 18in extensions.

The biggest issue with the NAS 110 is it has "saddles" that go on top of the rails where they dip down and none of the replacements have those so you have to cut off the saddles to fit the 18in extension ones. I suppose you could remake the saddles if you wanted to, but all they do is trap rust.
My rails are rusted through about about the middle of the saddles. There's going to be fabrication no matter what.
Old October 13th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
My rails are rusted through about about the middle of the saddles. There's going to be fabrication no matter what.
Pretty hard to remove the nas 110 saddles and leave enough of the frame for the new extensions to fit over/ sleeve without pulling the rear tub off.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 14th, 2015, 01:17 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Pretty hard to remove the nas 110 saddles and leave enough of the frame for the new extensions to fit over/ sleeve without pulling the rear tub off.
If you cut the sides where they are welded to the chassis the saddles can be pryed and sawed and grinded off and there looks to be enough room to do it tub on. Won't be fun that is for sure. I did it with one of the chassis I had (Charles's I think). What is left of the frame under is another matter. It was tub off for me, but not too bad. JimC did the quarter chassis on his (tub off). Not sure how you could weld that tub on. Maybe you could buy the quarter chassis and leave some of the chassis to weld to, I don't know.

I would go with the 18in extensions and patch the frame rails to get enough to weld to over the quarter chassis. Otherwise you are looking at tub off which is a royal PITA on a NAS 110 with the cage etc. pics might help asses the situation.

Whatever you do, galvanize the replacement as the britpart steel and paint are pretty bad and they rust quickly.

Or, you know, replace the whole frame. :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions